Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Safe to give half drunk bottle of EBM?

Default Safe to give half drunk bottle of EBM?

My dd only drank a little of my EBM. I hate to throw the rest away. Can I put it in the fridge and use it again within the week?

I thought I read somewhere that studies are unclear if EBM is safe to use again once the baby has already drank some of it.

~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Default Re: Safe to give half drunk bottle of EBM?

I don't know the technical answer to this, but even if baby drinks only a drop or two, he/she is leaving behind bacteria from mouth. I use any leftover bottle portions within a couple of hours, then toss it. Better safe than sorry.

The saliva will begin to break the milk down rapidly and bacteria introduced will make the milk taste awful.

Thanks, I'll pitch it then!!!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

well a week is a bit extensive BUT I found the following info on this page:

Breastmilk can safely stand at room temperature for 6 to 8 hours and need not be discarded if the first feeding attempt is incomplete. In contrast, formula must be refrigerated and discarded after the first feeding attempt because it contains no antibodies or infection protection factors.

Based on this study, which admittedly needs to be done on a larger scale, it would seem to me that expressed breast milk, fed to the baby, partially consumed, and then refrigerated, could be used for one more feeding no more than four hours later. That's probably fairly conservative. One of the best tests of whether the milk is spoiled is to do what you do with cow's milk: Smell it and taste it!"
    bolded for context

here's a whole page devoted to handling and storage for future reference :tumbsup
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.