Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gotta' Get Milk Up

Default Re: Gotta' Get Milk Up

Even after my baby's clip she still had a tendency to keep her tongue very far back so we had to do suck training with her for quite some time. You put a finger in their mouth, and then turn it over so that the nail side is down, while drawing your finger forward and out of the mouth to encourage them to stick their tongue out farther. :P

Even though it wasn't totally better after the clip, she gradually got used to having more freedom of her tongue, and now it seems to be fine. I hope you find a good doctor! Have you checked with dentists also? I have heard that some pediatric dentists will do it. The ENT that did our clip said that a lot of times she sees girlfriends dragging in their boyfriends to get it done because they aren't very good kissers; she also sees toddlers come in because they are having difficulties with speech. So there are more reasons to do this than just the nursing.

I will pray that you are able to find a good doctor and get an appointment quickly.
    Last edited by paigekitten; November 21st, 2007 at 06:06 PM.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

Quote Originally Posted by relactatingmomforthelord View Post
    Thanks to both of you! I have gotten baby back to the breast and he loves it! (I am using the SNS). I am double pumping following a feeding and still getting ~1/2 oz on the side he nursed.

I have to mix with formula and breastmilk in the SNS or he will absolutely refuse the formula after he has had my milk. Sometimes he wastes a little and I have to just be okay with that. I know that he will take the formula when he gets hungry enough, but it just seems like a battle easier not to fight, right now.

I LOVE the rice bag idea! And I am turning off my pump to go get water, right now.

I bought some fennel, but I have hesitated. I am taking fenugreek, blessed thistle, domperodine, along with my prenatal multivitamin and a little fish oil. I have NEVER put so many pills in my body before. I just couldn't bring myself to add fennel. But maybe I will. (I read that fennel can be used to bring on menstration and I certainly DON'T want that!!! So if I get through the next week and a half without a period and still feel like I am not increasing, then I will probably add the fennel, because I do think that my MER is a little wimpy.)

P.S. Now that he is back at the breast, he is completely rejecting the bottle! I was going to keep bottle feeding him at night so I would not have to clean the SNS and loose even more sleep, but he is completely fussing when I try to give him the bottle. I got another SNS so I can just let one soak in soapy water at night after I feed him. I love that my baby wants to BF as much as I want him to I just can't wait until we don't need "help."
    I'm so jealous!! LOL - I can't wait for the day that I can type that my baby finally latched again. I really need to go get an SNS!
    Anyway congrats! Big time - I've been reading your posts and I can tell you're working super hard at this.

Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

Okay, I will look into the suck training. I have the name of a speech therapist who does in patient suck training at children's hospital. Maybe she does some out patient, too.

I just keep thinking that someday this is all going to end and get easier.

My milk supply is down a little, again. I don't know if it is just because I am coming around hormonally to that time of the month. (Which I understand that even though I did not have a period last month, hormonally I can still have a dip in milk). Or if it is because of all this herbal fiasco I have put my body through. I wish that I responded better to just nipple stimulation and could skip all the herbs/medications.

And yet, I am relying on Hebrews 10:35-36(So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised. )

And then I feel at peace.

That is cool that your LO likes your milk over formula. I think it is a natrual instinct maybe as mine likes bm better too! Keep up the good work and I hope it all works well for you both!

We went to the ENT yesterday and he clipped lo's tongue right there in the office. We came home and nursed. I could feel a difference!

He is not nursing as often, today, but I am sure he feels a little bit sore in his mouth. So today I am pumping a lot more than usual.

More on the fennel: appearently it is a galactogogue if you take it in very short bursts (like a day or two) and then quit. If you take it longer, it dries up your milk. Seems too dangerous, to me.

[QUOTE=relactatingmomforthelord;361725]We went to the ENT yesterday and he clipped lo's tongue right there in the office. We came home and nursed. I could feel a difference!

He is not nursing as often, today, but I am sure he feels a little bit sore in his mouth. So today I am pumping a lot more than usual.
    QUOTE]

Good for you, mama! I'm so glad the clip seems to have made a difference in LO's suck. I am hopeful that this is going to be a great milestone for you two.

Keep us posted!

Tiana

I am glad you were able to find someone who would do it! Hopefully his suck will keep improving as he gets used to all his new-found tongue freedom!
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

Ladies, I have to tell you about the last two days. I can't believe it! I have not had to use any formula until about his 4:00pm feeding! I have felt like "Am I starving him?" But then I use formula and he doesn't even finish it, so I know that he is getting enough milk. It is really happening!!! It is really happening!!!

Don't get me wrong, I am still using the SNS on most feedings. Basically, I am pumping when I wake up sometime between 1 am and 3 am, when he sleeps through (10 pm to 7 am) and I get about 4 oz (Yipee!!!) then he gets up at 7 am and I just nurse. Then I pump and get about another oz. At his 9 am feeding I use 2 of my 5 oz of breastmilk in the SNS. After he nurses, I pump again and get maybe another 1/2 oz. Then at 11:30 he gets another 2 of the 3.5 oz in the SNS. At 2 pm I have been lying down with him and letting him nurse while we both nap. Then at 4 pm, I have been putting a couple of ounces of formula in the SNS with any breast milk I have. The rest of the day I am using formula, but he is only getting maybe 6 oz of formula a day!!!

I KNOW the tongue clip helped because of the jump in my supply and because I can lift back his bottom lip just a little and see his tongue right there where it is supposed to be. Also, as anyone who has used an SNS can attest, you feel the cool wet liquid on your nipple when you use a supplementer. Before his frenotomy, I could feel that coolness completely surrounding my nipple. Now, I can only feel it on the top of his mouth. His tongue prevents it from going to the bottom of his mouth. Since it felt different, I kept relatching him thinking that he wasn't getting any flow from the tubing. Finally I figured it out. He was getting the supplement, I just couldn't feel it as much.

We are so close.

I am soooo happy for you!!! Such wonderful news! Keep up the great work, mama!

Tiana