Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotta' Get Milk Up

Default Gotta' Get Milk Up

Okay Ladies,

This is kinda' funny. My lo has decided that he likes my milk way better than formula and he doesn't want his formula, anymore.

I HAVE TO get my milk up, QUICKLY.

I am going to really push him to nurse as I know this will work quicker than pumping. But I know that pumping is still going to be part of this.

Does anyone know any links to research aiding Milk Ejection Reflex? I feel like I have more milk than I can get out with the pump. I want techniques and am open to herbals. Thanks!

Default Re: Gotta' Get Milk Up

Have you tried renting a hospital grade pump? That is awesome that your little one likes your milk best!!!

Hi ,

You must be very excited to see your LO prefering your milk over formula! You've made a lot of progress in just a few weeks. Very good for you!

This article has information on milk ejection reflex and increasing the amount of milk you are able to pump: www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html . Not everything in the article applies exactly to your situation (written for mothers who are pumping at work and experiencing a dip in supply), but I think you will find a lot of the information helpful.

You are right...getting baby back to the breast is the best way to increase your supply and insure that he's getting plenty of breastmilk. Keep working at it and try not to get discouraged. You have come such a long way!

Tiana

When my milk dried up it was because I totally lost my MER (it was stress related, three weeks in the hospital can do that).Anyway, I haven't read any of your other posts so I don't know what you've tried, but these things helped me:

warm pack (usually just a rice bag) applied about three minutes before pumping/feeding and sometimes throughout pumping/feeding

drinking a glass of water as I started pumping (once I had re-established my milk supply, this was almost a guarantee for me, every time I would start swallowing, the milk would come)

After I had been pumping for some time (about 12 or 13 months), the MER faltered big time again. I did some more research and tried fennel and taking about 1tsp of ground ginger about 30 minutes before pumping. It made me gag every time, but it worked really well. Maybe you won't be as aversive to ginger as I was.

Good luck in finding something that works for you.

warmly,

belcantomom

Thanks to both of you! I have gotten baby back to the breast and he loves it! (I am using the SNS). I am double pumping following a feeding and still getting ~1/2 oz on the side he nursed.

I have to mix with formula and breastmilk in the SNS or he will absolutely refuse the formula after he has had my milk. Sometimes he wastes a little and I have to just be okay with that. I know that he will take the formula when he gets hungry enough, but it just seems like a battle easier not to fight, right now.

I LOVE the rice bag idea! And I am turning off my pump to go get water, right now.

I bought some fennel, but I have hesitated. I am taking fenugreek, blessed thistle, domperodine, along with my prenatal multivitamin and a little fish oil. I have NEVER put so many pills in my body before. I just couldn't bring myself to add fennel. But maybe I will. (I read that fennel can be used to bring on menstration and I certainly DON'T want that!!! So if I get through the next week and a half without a period and still feel like I am not increasing, then I will probably add the fennel, because I do think that my MER is a little wimpy.)

P.S. Now that he is back at the breast, he is completely rejecting the bottle! I was going to keep bottle feeding him at night so I would not have to clean the SNS and loose even more sleep, but he is completely fussing when I try to give him the bottle. I got another SNS so I can just let one soak in soapy water at night after I feed him. I love that my baby wants to BF as much as I want him to I just can't wait until we don't need "help."

You're both doing so great!

Wow! So exciting!!

So happy for you!

Tiana

[QUOTE=belcantomom;328367] I did some more research and tried fennel and taking about 1tsp of ground ginger about 30 minutes before pumping. It made me gag every time, but it worked really well. [QUOTE]

Fennel is listed as a L4 and is estrogenic according to Thomas Hale's MEDICATIONS AND MOTHERS' MILK 2006 12/ed on page 339 (I think). This means that Fennel is not compatable with breastfeeding. After I started taking it, my milk supply dwindled to almost nothing. I stopped and with domperidone, it came back to almost where is was.

DO NOT TAKE FENNEL WHILE NURSING!
    Last edited by relactatingmomforthelord; November 16th, 2007 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Need to add emphasis

Okay, I must be the only woman alive that reacted that way to fennel. Diane West, IBCLC says that fennel is a very powerful galactagougue - and she knows what she is talking about.

Next -- my son deffinately has a tongue tie. At this age, we will have to find a surgeon to do it. If we had caught it at birth, it would have been a simple snip. Most surgeons don't want to do the surgery because they say a lot of babies are set in there ways and won't change their suck at this point. Well... I can only say that I can't accept that answer. We have made it this far and I just can't imagine that we are not going to make it further.

I am praying over finding the right doctor. I am praying for a quick appointment (as the one doctor that my IBCLC says will likely do it is booked until December 26th). I am praying for a good suckle.

This is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.
    I am still not giving up!

You are discovering that different experts have different opinions on herbs and medications while breastfeeding. That is why it is so important to consult with a supportive health care professional when using these remedies. Every "body" is different.

Keep us posted as to how things go with finding a doctor to address the tongue tie issue.

Have a Blessed Thanksgiving!

Tiana