Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When did the 6mos rule change?

Default When did the 6mos rule change?

Last Fri. I took lo for his 4mo shots. The dr gave me a list of when to start what foods. It had single cereals start at 4mos, yellow veg at 4.5 mos, green veg at 5mos and etc. When I had my other two dc (13 and 6 yrs now) it was single cereals at 6mos and go from there. I didn't ask the dr. because we have a personality conflict. Not that he is a bad dr just that he thinks his way is the only way IYKWIM. I was just curious.

Default Re: When did the 6mos rule change?

The rules haven't changed.

Feel free to ignore your doctor and wait until 6 mo if that's what you want to do.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Default Re: When did the 6mos rule change?

Here's the American Academy of Pediatrics on breastfeeding:

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;115/2/496

Pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection. Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child.
    • Complementary foods rich in iron should be introduced gradually beginning around 6 months of age. Preterm and low birth weight infants and infants with hematologic disorders or infants who had inadequate iron stores at birth generally require iron supplementation before 6 months of age. Iron may be administered while continuing exclusive breastfeeding.
    • Unique needs or feeding behaviors of individual infants may indicate a need for introduction of complementary foods as early as 4 months of age, whereas other infants may not be ready to accept other foods until approximately 8 months of age.
    • Introduction of complementary feedings before 6 months of age generally does not increase total caloric intake or rate of growth and only substitutes foods that lack the protective components of human milk.
    • During the first 6 months of age, even in hot climates, water and juice are unnecessary for breastfed infants and may introduce contaminants or allergens.
    • Increased duration of breastfeeding confers significant health and developmental benefits for the child and the mother, especially in delaying return of fertility (thereby promoting optimal intervals between births).
    • There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer.
    • Infants weaned before 12 months of age should not receive cow's milk but should receive iron-fortified infant formula.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)