Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF first or solids?

Default BF first or solids?

Hi,
    I've just introduced my LO to solids at nearly 6 months... he's been eating rice cereal since Sept. 22 and has been slowly expanding his repertoire of food to include a few veggies and fruits... the questions I have are:

- Do I give him the breast before each meal and then do the solids and wait for him to show that he is more hungry on the solids?

- How many times should I be BF'ing him now? (He eats three meals a day, Breakfast, Lunch, and dinner) I BF him at all of those plus at bedtime... so about every 4 hours... does that seem like enough?

Thanks.

Default Re: BF first or solids?

Every baby is different. I make sure I breastfeed first, since that is baby's primary source of nutrition. Then I offer food. At this age, foods are just good practice for them, not their main nutrition, nor should it be replaced. Some people have complained that they find after BF baby, their baby is full and won't take solids. If this is your case, you can still BF first, then wait about an hour and offer solids. BF as much as possible still at this age. Good luck.

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

You should BF before and after solids - at this age BM is more important nutritionally than solids, so you don't want them getting full on solids and not BFing enough.

Keep BFing on demand. As long as he's wetting plenty and gaining weight, that's all that matters.

DS is 7 months old and he's only been on solids a couple of weeks, so he just has them at lunchtime and he's BF on demand. He's always been a frequent nurser (BFs because he's hungry, upset, tired, missed mummy, bored, any excuse really!) so number of feeds really don't bear comparison!

I BF before solids as well. I also BF on command. It usually works out to before meals, before naptime and at bedtime. (and if he wakes in the night and seems hungry)