Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden increased interest in solids

Default Sudden increased interest in solids

So, Abigail has been, consistently, a nibbler with solids from day 1. A taste here, a lick there, maybe a bite if she likes it. In the last week she's gone to wildly grabbing any food she sees and wolfing it down. Huge bites (I've almost panicked a few times after she took huge "morsels" and stffed them whole into her mouth... she did fine, but it still scared me), and keeps coming back for more way beyond what she used to. Is this just the "Ah, I get it" phase? It's fun, and she's still nursing great, but it's like somebody swapped babies with me.
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.

Default Re: Sudden increased interest in solids

Maybe she just decided she likes the whole eating thing? If it isn't hurting her nursing, I'd let her go for it and give her whatever you feel is good for her. Maybe this is a good time to start introducing some new foods.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Was Abigail born in Nov 06 or June 06? (Sorry, I always get confused with the way dates are presented.) If she is nearing 1 year old, it's great she's taken an interest in solids because she will begin needing more nutrition than breastmilk can give. There is also a growth spurt between 12-18 months where baby will need to eat, eat, eat and eat! Good on you if she is not just relying on breastmilk alone at that time!
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Nov. 06, so she's right on top of her first birthday. I'm actually pretty happy about her increased eating, since I was pretty nervous about what I would feed her if my milk dried up before she wanted to wean with this pregnancy. But so far all is well, and she's eating more anyway
    Rachel

Mama to my precious girls, Abigail and Naomi

"When we consider that women are treated as property, it is degrading to women that we should treat our children as property to be disposed of as we see fit." - Elizabeth Cady Stanton in a letter to Julia Ward Howe, October 16, 1873. Recorded in Howe's diary at Harvard University Library.