Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does PPAF affect breast milk?

Angry Does PPAF affect breast milk?

I’ve been bf my 13 month old DS since birth. Things have gone very well. Starting Saturday, however, he has been projectile vomiting all of the milk either immediately after nursing (usually at the morning feed) or a few hours later (usually during the night). He’s been keeping down solids fine, though his appetite is not very good.

I have not had any new food or drinks and have not had any alcohol. The only thing that has changed that I can think of is that I got my first pp period on Friday. I know that this can sometimes affect the taste of the milk, but have you ever heard of a baby vomiting it? If so, is there something I can eat so that it doesn’t affect him so badly?

Thank you so much, Jen

Default Re: Does PPAF affect breast milk?

Your menstrual cycle doesn't change your milk. So your milk is fine.
    Have you ruled out a virus or food allergy? You can nurse through stomach bugs to ensure baby stays hydrated.

Thanks for your quick reply. I haven't ruled out a virus yet. He's not himself, but I don't know if that's because he's dehydrated from vomiting twice a day. In terms of allergy, he hasn't had any new food in quite some time.

The piece that baffles me is why he is only vomiting after nursing and not after any other food. He's had fruit, veggies and cereal today, all of varying consistencies, but he just finished nursing before bedtime, sat up to burb and vomited most of the milk he just drank.

Whatever the case, he doesn't seem phased by it so we'll just keep plugging on through until it's over.

Has his nursing patterns changed at all? For example, was there more going on over the weekend and you didn't nurse as much or he slept longer than usual at night? DS has definitely puked all over the place when I was engorged, he drank too much milk, and up it came. He also puked every night when he had an ear infection.