Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jarred food and homeade food

Default Re: Jarred food and homeade food

I am purchasing a food processor for baby food and other items... you can get a nice cusiniart or kitchenaid for about $50 or less (sometimes less on QVC). Here is a website I booked marked for future needs http://www.cuisinart.com/recipes/rec...p_tag=for_baby
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Quote Originally Posted by karinamillanao View Post
    check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com

it´s a great website with tons of simple intructions on how to make babyfood....
    I love that site, we have used it to get ideas on baby food and when to introduce and so forth. At six (almost seven) months we still are almost ebfing but we have tried a few things......

I do use some jarred food but it takes forever for him to finish one small jar so it was more of a waste, it is so simply to make a lot of food, the website will help a lot

My son will be 7 months this week, and we have been trying to find our way with solids too. Some of the things he really likes are

banana
    avocado (like a PP said, mix banana and avocado and a little BM--it was a hit!)
    green beans, steamed
    apple--I just cut it into a thick french-fry shape and peeled the top (left the peel on the bottom so he could hold onto it)
    sweet potato--either give him pieces and/or mix with BM
    watermelon--LOVES this
    cantaloupe

What I like about most of this stuff is that I don't have to cook it or I can do it way ahead of time, like other posters said.

He loves (baby) oatmeal and pureed butternut squash too, and likes prunes (jarred).

Let us know what else you come up with--I might want to steal your ideas!

I just started another thread about making baby food. I guess I should have looked before I posted! I've been using the Fresh Baby recipe book and it's so easy and quick. The recipes are designed so that it takes 30 minutes to make a weeks worth of baby food. Plus, all the cooking is done in the microwave, which is great for me! (Sorry ladies, I'm lazy and my microwave.)

Here's a link to their site: http://freshbaby.com/

HTH!

Can someone tell me why when I pureed a banana (with a tad bit of water) and froze it in icecube trays...then let it thaw in a freezer bag ...it is looking like syrup? I know I am supposed to be able to just mash a banana and avocado, but he doesn't seem to like the texture. Should I keep trying? Canalope I can give him and just slice? or do I mash that too? thanks.

Bananas get gross when frozen. However, they are safe to eat. Just really gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan's Mommy View Post
    Can someone tell me why when I pureed a banana (with a tad bit of water) and froze it in icecube trays...then let it thaw in a freezer bag ...it is looking like syrup? I know I am supposed to be able to just mash a banana and avocado, but he doesn't seem to like the texture. Should I keep trying? Canalope I can give him and just slice? or do I mash that too? thanks.
    Banana and avacado don't freeze well, they are more of a make what will be eaten kind of meal.

If he is self feeding you can give him a slice to knaw on but that makes me nervous. I give DS fruit and veggies in this so he can still self feed but it lessens the chance of choking. I got mine at the market for like $5 though and they were in cute bold colors. He's actually using it to munch on some watermelon right now!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I also make all my own baby food. I use organic produce as well so I know that what is going into my baby is healthy. We just started turkey this week and she really seems to like it. I mix it with other things though such as sweet potatoes, squash, pears, apples, carrots...just to give her a variety. I use a food processor to blend up the food once it's been cooked. I love the wholesomebabyfood.com website as well.

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

You should cover your ice try with saran wrap, let it freeze and then pop all the cubes into freezer storage bags. It's less likely to get freezer burned this way.
    Like the pp said, bananas and avocados dont freeze well. I would slice it up, blend in the food processor and then store in your fridge.
    You can use breastmilk instead of water to blend. When they're just starting solids, this is a good transition because they're already used to the taste of your breastmilk.
    I pureed cantalope - it's like 90% water, so it's really runny. I didn't think of it at the time but you could use that to make your LO's oatmeal or cereal with. Nice added flavor!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Can i use a blender to puree food? or should it really be a food processor? I'm planning on making homemade food for my 5-month old son. Organic baby food is getting to be too expensive once i start feeding him 2/3x a day. Right now i use jarred food to check what food he likes and what doesn't have any allergic reaction on him. I am currently feeding him fruits/vegetables and cereal once a day at dinner.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007