Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jarred food and homeade food

Default Jarred food and homeade food

Okay, I am not an experienced cooker! I will, however, learn anything in order to make sure my baby is eating healthy...so I am debating right now on how to go about his whole solids thing. But, I seem to be finding a lot of stuff on cooking food for baby, rather than buying it. For those who buy commercial baby food, what is the difference between stage two and three? I started my DS on solids a month ago and he's been eating single grain Barley Cereal, along with stage one commercial fruits and veggies. He is about to be 7 months old. Do I go to stage 2 or to stage 3? Do I stick with Single grain? What is your 7 month old eating? Can I stop using baby rice/barley/oat/cereal and buy regular adult oatmeal? If so, what kind? If you puree food yourself, do you juts put it in a blender? As you can see I am really overwhelmed and confused. Some websites and stuff help, but they also confuse me.

Default Re: Jarred food and homeade food

We started out with jar food but she never would eat it. By the time she really wanted solids she could handle small bits of regular food so I don't know anything about pureed food. On the oatmeal thing, our ped said avoid oatmeal until at least a year because it might cause allergies. We still haven't given her oatmeal but were thinking about trying it soon. We don't really have any food allergies in our family so we're hoping it will be ok.

Oh on the Gerber jars or on their website it should list milestones that show you when they might be ready for stage 2 and 3 foods. Our ped gave us a handout from Gerber that had all that on there.

I make all of DS' baby food. It's really easy. They easiest thing to start with IMO is sweet potatoes. Most babies love them and they are nutritious.

Just wash, poke with a fork a few times for steam, wrap in foil, bake in a 350 oven for 90 to 120 minutes or until soft, peel skin away once cool.
    Now you can just mash them up depending on how creamy your LO prefers food. If you want to puree then just put it in a blender or food processor (I use a processor so I'm not sure about blending speeds etc) with either a little water or expressed BM until creamy. Voila you just made baby food!

The best part is you put the extra into an ice cube tray and feeze, now you have easy to defrost single servings. I seriously got about 2 months worth of food from 2 large potatoes, it cost me like $3.

You can also boil foods in just enough water to cover then use the water to thin down. If you boil it's best to use the left over water since a lot of nutrients end up there. You just want to bake or boil until the food is tender enought to mash/puree. So far I have sucessfully made the following for DS:

sweet potato
    yams
    beets
    apples
    green beans
    parsnip
    butternut squash (his fav)
    peaches
    plums
    banana
    avacado
    carrots
    rutabega
    swiss chard (hated)
    rice pudding with peaches

You don't have to cook the banana and avacado, just wait until really ripe and mash with a fork. It especially good if you mix the two. I use the "Healthy Baby Meal Planner" cookbook by Annabel Karmel. There are a ton of books out there that give ideas, age appropriate foods, and reciepes. You can check one out at the library to give a whirl before you buy. I just set aside one Saturday morning to cook and have food for 2+ months, it's great. I highly recommend trying it, that way you can use BM in the food and you know exactly what it going into your baby.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I have found Whole Foods for Babies and Toddlers by Margaret Kenda to be really helpful in figuring out how to prepare food for my baby. She has recipes for everything from applesauce to cake. They are easy and healthy and helped to make solids less overwhelming.

Thanks for the advice. Wow, Amy...you made that sound so easy! I am going to checkout that cookbook. Now that DS is eating more...it's getting expensive...and I only work part time.... so I do have the time to cook, if I just learn how. Would you mind giving me an example of what your LO would eat around 7 months on a normal day? 3 times a day?

I only feed DS solids 2x a day since he gets constipated otherwise, but at 7 months it usually went like this

6:30am wake up, nurse
    8 or 9am nurse to sleep
    11:30 -12pm 2 ice cubes of fruit w/baby cereal to cut the sweet
    2pm nurse to sleep
    4:30-5 nurse (this feeding depends on DS)
    6pm 2-3 ice cubes of veggies
    7-9pm nurse to sleep

DS usually will wake up 1-2 a night and nurse as well. Now it's more random since he hates to be fed. He wants to do it himself so we're working on finger foods so I'll give him stuff while he's playing due to his sudden aversion to the high chair. HTH.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I too make all my baby's food. I find it to be really easy and cost effective, plus I have the ability to know exactly what she's getting. Like AmyMarie said, $3 can streach a long way! (I bought a $2 pumpkin a few weeks ago and it made about a month's worth of food!)

I usually cook the veggie or fruit by baking, steaming or boiling, depending on what the food is. Then I either put through a hand cranked food mill (I got mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond) or through a food processer. After that I freeze it in ice cube trays for easy use.

My LO eats solids twice a day, and nurses (or has a bottle of EBM when I'm at work) about 4-5 times.

HTH! Feel free to PM me if you have other questions!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Thank you so much. I bought some organic bananas last night and I tried just mashing with a fork, but I wanted it a little smoother, so I put a tad bit of water and the banana in a food processer, then mixed with Barley. DS ate it fine. I also poured the leftovers in the ice trays like both of you suggested. Is it good for a long time in the freezer even though it's not covered with anything? I am trying avacado next and I also bought some fresh carrots, so I am going to have to figure out how to cook them properly (this is all new to me..I usually eat my vegetables out of a can!) It is definitely cost effective and it felt good knowing I was doing it myself! I ordered the Healthy Baby book online too!

check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com

it´s a great website with tons of simple intructions on how to make babyfood....
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

When DS was 7 months, I think he usually had something to eat at one meal a day and it was usually just a few bites. If we were busy or he slept through our usual meal time, then he didn't eat that meal (and never missed it). We took a very laid back approach to solids and it worked well for us.