Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New Prob Sore Aching Breasts

Default New Prob Sore Aching Breasts

My nipples dont hurt as bad and are healing but my entire breast aches on both sides. Its not a shooting pain its just an all over ache. Babys latching well but she does seem to stop and slurp at the breast for lack of a better term. Pause and break suction a split second, make a slurping or sucking noise at times then continue.

Shes 10 days old... Im lost..

Default Re: New Prob Sore Aching Breasts

Hi There!

Is the ache constant or does it come and go? Do you have any flu-like symptoms? I'm a little concerned that you may have mastitis.
    Here's a link that may help:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html

If you think it is mastitis, you should call your doctor to see if you need antibiotics. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids and get lots of rest. Nurse your baby as often as he/she wants to nurse.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Well I am tired, cant tell from what source, but the pain comes and goes. I dont have any lumps anywhere like clogged ducts. Tylenol seems to ease it some. To be safe who should I check with about infection? Pediatrician or other doctor?

You probably need to nip in and see your OB who delivered you just to make sure that everything is OK. Next week this time I can reassure you that everything will look a lot different. Only 10 days old, how sweet! I am sure that dc is just perfect.

Either your doc or your baby's doc. Many peds will treat a nursing mother.

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

After mastitis has been ruled out, it could just be that your breasts need more time to adjust. I was certain I had something terribly wrong because every time my milk let down, there was a terrific burning/tingling sensation that eventually left my entire breasts sore. My LC told me that the pain was likely caused by my ducts getting "stretched out" for the first time.
    Congrats on your new little one! I hope you feel better