Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: We Made It

Default We Made It

I haven't been able to come online for so long, I miss it here.
    I just am so thrilled that we made it to 13 months of successful breastfeeding at the end of september. Since then he really weaned himself and has more interest in other things like playing and drinking from his cup, which saddened me at first...but then i realize he is developing so well and I'm just happy we made it this far.
    However, now he is constantly rubbing/poking at his belly button. Is this normal? It is getting so raw and red. when nursing he used to do the nipple twiddling, so I thought it could be related to no longer nursing, but that could just be a stretch trying to relate the two. does anyone think it could be something else?

The reddness just looks so painful and if he has a onsie on he sometimes gets very agitated and tries to sneak his hand in under to poke at it!

Thanks!

Default Re: We Made It

Have you thought about offering to suckle even if you have little or no milk. The behavior could be related to anxiousness.

Congrats on nursing for 13 mos! I have no experience with the navel twiddling issue. It sounds like it could be related to weaning. Is he interested in playing with anything else?
    How are you handling the transition?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

my friend's daughter did the exact same thing, it was a total comfort thing, just like twirling hair, thumb-sucking, etc. she even had to cut holes in some of her daughter's footie pajamas (this was at age 3) otherwise she'd freak out b/c she couldn't get to her bellybutton. and it was cold, so she had to be in warm jammies. idk what else to tell you but if you want her email address, pm me...
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

For the past month he's only rarely come to the breast to suckle because usually he only bites and laughs then runs off to play with something. So its very frustrating and painful for me. It wasn't easy with the transition because it was so abrupt, I thought weaning would be very gradual. I think it had to do with me having to get my wisdom teeth out and not being able to nurse for a couple days due to the medication. He still got breastmilk through sippy cup. After those couple days he started doing the biting more often and doing what i described above. More recently if I offer it, he looks at me with this grin and just hits my boob and runs away. Like he thinks he's not suppose to or something. I've been doing extra cuddle/quiet time with him this week since I've been on vacation from work. nursing was the rare time we were quiet and relaxed. Now as he is getting more curious he's always on the go and likes loud and wild play. Boys will be boys!
    Anxiousness was one of my thoughts too... I'll try to give him more relaxing time, maybe massage or reading a couple extra books a day... and try to note when he does it to see if i can pinpoint anything. Thanks for the thoughts! And thank you for the 1 year congrats!!!!!