Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 weeks... now what?

Unhappy 3 weeks... now what?

My baby will be 3 weeks old tomorrow... and breastfeeding has been a real challenge for us...

Things seemed to be going well the first two weeks...by the count of wet and bowel movement diapers but his weight gain was low. Finally my pediatrician suggested a lactation consultant, and she stopped by and said it was due to my son's low stimulating tug.

So for the past 3 days my son has breastfed on each side for 3 minutes, and then we use the baby weigh scale to weigh prior to feeding and after to ensure that he has taken in 1.5 ounces total, using a supplementer. We have had to supplement at different times with as little as 6ml to as much as 24 ml. I have been suggested to take 3 fenugeek capsules @ 3 times a day and 2 alfalfa capsules @ 4 times a day. I still have not seen an increase in milk supply, and I haven't noticed a change in my baby's tug...... I am also pumping at the end of feeding for 10 minutes... I have been getting approximately 1/4 of an ounce up to an ounce total ... more than double from the right side than from the left. Even though with the supplementer we have been putting it on the left side EVERY time.

There have been many tears that have fallen, in the feelings of failure or just frustration..... It takes approximately 1 hr - 15 minutes for each feeding and then he wants to feed every 2 hr to 2 1/2 hr. I just feel that we just sit here and feed all day long.

I am just hoping for any suggestions that any of you can provide. It is so important for me to breastfeed my baby, but I am not sure how much longer emotionally that I can take.

Default Re: 3 weeks... now what?

This totally could have been my post when my son was your baby's age. It took us a SOLID 6-8 weeks before we really got the hang of breastfeeding. His weight gain was no problem, but he wanted to nurse sometimes every hour and I felt like it was never going to end. But I persisted because like you, breastfeeding was extremely important to me and I was not about to give up. Here are some things that might help you bring in more milk:

Let baby nurse as long and as often as he wants. The more stimulation, the more milk your breasts will make. If you feel tied down with this, consider purchasing a sling and learning how to nurse in it. This will allow you more freedom and baby will love being close to you.

Purchase or rent a double pump and start pumping at different intervals during the day. Once again this goes back to stimulating the breasts to make milk.

Keep up with your fluid intake, get plenty of rest, nap with baby, just generally take care of yourself during this time. A week after I had my son and was having horrendous breastfeeding problems, on top of recovering from an extremely traumatic delivery, I decided to mop the kitchen floor because I didn't like how my M-I-L had done it two days prior. Sometimes you just need to get real and focus on what's REALLY important. ( and it aint the floor lol )

Hang in there hun. I know exactly what you are feeling right now- and trust me the end result is worth a few weeks of struggle. One day breastfeeding falls into place, and you soon forget how hard it was to get started.

I meant 20 minutes on each side not 3.....

I am so sorry you are feeling sad and frustrated. What you are doing right now is a tremendous amount of work and you should be commended for your hard work and perserverance.

That said, it may take some time for things to come around, but it WILL get better. LLL normally suggests it takes 6 to 8 weeks to establish an adequate milk supply and that is with a baby who is nursing effectively. Give you and ds some time and things will improve.

Have you considered contacting a local LLL Leader? She would be of great support to you during this time. You might also consider (when you can swing it-I know things are a *little* busy now) attending an LLL meeting where you could talk with other BF moms about fears, joys, concerns, etc.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html

Hang in there! You are doing a great job.