Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long do I feed the jars?

Question How long do I feed the jars?

My LO is eating solids fine now and loved everything we try. She still nurses all the time and uses a sippy cup at daycare. She has 1 tooth on top and 2 on bottom and is 1 year old now. My question....we feed her 1 jar of puree food before she has her real solids. Is this necessary? Is there any benefit (or harm)? My DH feels that the jar foods are designed for babies and thus she is getting what she needs from the jar. My only reason for liking the jars is that they are nice when we go out (easy to cary in diaper bad w/o any planning). The downside is the cost ($1 per jar b/c we are feeding only organics so far). What do you do?
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: How long do I feed the jars?

I use real food 99% of the time. I feel better about her eating real fruits and veggies. Why do you do the puree before the solids? Did someone recommend that? I haven't heard of this. If she is eating baby sized table food, I would save the $ and skip the jars. I keep a couple in the car in case we are out and need baby friendly food - but most places have some thing she can eat.

yeah, you can stop giving her jar foods anytime u feel like, in fact, i would say, she is old enough to handle adult food, keep the jarred food for outings, once she get used to self feeding she wont need the jarred food even outside. HTH

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

I have never given my baby jared food.....always made him his food...

With a year old your lo can eat EVERYTHING you do (minus too much sugar!)

There is nothing "magical" about jared food, not special at all....
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

My dd boycotted jar foods a few weeks ago. (can't stand to be fed, has to to everything herself). I asked the ped and she said that I could go ahead and just give her what we eat. Dd is younger than your lo.

We never did purees so ....

When we go out with DS we do bring along some foods we know he'll like to eat, but generally it's been no big deal to special order something that we know DS is eating.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I do the same thing ( feed my lo jarred foods before solids), and she is 1yo also... I do it because I want to make sure she gets enough! I was wondering the same thing about cutting the hars out?? I am just scared she wont get enough nutrition....
    Lori
    Wife to Bryan
    Zoe, born 10-08-2006, 6 lbs. 2 oz. 18.75 inches long!
    Rylan, born 07-13-2008, 7 lbs. 2oz. 20.25 long!
    Loving every minute of it!!

Thanks everyone. We have been feeding the jars first b/c she Loves her finger foods and only sort of likes the purred foods.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk