Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a monitor?

Default Do you use a monitor?

Hi,

BabyPeter has been sleeping in our room while renovating. He is 11 weeks old now. Once we move him to his own room, should we use a monitor? Right now I can tell between his sleepy breathing and his waking up breathing. I wonder if I put him in his own room, will I hear him? or will he actually have to cry out loud to get me?

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Do you use a monitor?

When my LO actually sleeps in his crib..... we use a monitor. I just feel better being able to hear him.
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

My LO's crib is in our room and we use a monitor if she goes to sleep before we are ready for bed. When she moves into her own room, we'll still use it. My oldest girl just turned 5 and we still use a monitor in her room because she will not get up without our permission. Not that we taught her that though, she just won't. Since her room is on the opposite end of the house we can't hear her if she wakes up in the middle of the night. The monitor has really come in handy.

The reason I ask is because I read that a baby might get a better sleep if he doesn't listen to me sleeping; and I might get a better sleep if I don't listen to him sleeping...
    Right now when I put him to bed, I tiptoe around the room if I need anything; and when it's time for me to go to bed, I ease into the bed (it's squeaky!) and fear waking him up. Then in the night when I wake up hearing him, I wonder if I should jump up right away, or wait it out for a bit. Sometimes I'm so sleepy that I jump up and look over his crib just to find out he's still asleep. Then I go (squeak) back to bed, but I'm awake...

I seriously debated co-sleeping (wouldn't work with DH and I want to sleep with DH more), now I'm debating putting the baby in his own room. *Because I wonder if he'll actually sleep longer*

We don't use a monitor cause we co-sleep! And we get pretty good sleep, specially when he isn't having a growth spurt or teething! But I do have one, but we put it away for now cause we are in such a tiny apartment that I can hear anything cause he's basically 10 feet away from me most of the time, when he is asleep before we go to sleep or is taking a nap.

We use a monitor when DD is sleeping and we are not in bed yet. (Also co-sleepers). There were a few nights when we had DD in a crib in another room using a monitor and I found the monitor really annoying. I would hear every little noise she made and because I couldn't see her I ended up checking on her frequently. Maybe you would get used to it after a few days. We decided that co-sleeping with a sidecar crib is more our style.

TM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Noodlenerd, your site was so helpful. I showed my hubby who has been begging me to get DD out of our bed. He also has sleep apnea. He said we can do the sidecar, thanks for your site.
    Now to participate in the thread...
    We use a video monitor for our DD while she is in our bed while were downstairs. We don;t have rails so I need to be able to see that she doesn't roll off. I find my monitor PRICELESS. It is the video monitor by Safety First.

We use monitors in all the kids rooms. My dd1 is 4yr old and still has a monitor. I think I will lose the monitor after she is 5 I think . I sleep better with the monitors on and when we lose power I sleep in the loft which is in the middle of the 2nd flr and I can hear everyone. We all sleep with our doors closed for 2 reasons. 1) to keep our cats out and 2) so they can sleep no matter how much noise make. Very rarely do we tip toe around the house. Not saying to don't just not often.

Do what makes you feel best. I just know we kick our kids out of our room at 3months (ds was later for health reasons more like 5 months) and they get their own room...it is tradition in our house.

HTH and GL with the transition I know it is hard I have to do it a third time. ^_~
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

I use a bassinet for my baby girls she 4 months old and she still sleeps in our bedroom I place the bassinet right next to my bed so I can see and hear anything she does... I dont use a monitor for that reason but when I am ready to let her go to her room (hope not soon ) I will purchase a monitor for peace of mind.... Want to add that in the first months I used to get up every moment to check on her to make sure she is fine cause she will cry like if she is in pain but as per other moms experience I found out she was having a bad dream.... It is great for me to have her right next to me to check every single moves she does....

Hi Jennifer - we started using a monitor at 12 weeks. Although our lo was a preemie, she started to turn herself around in the bassinett and I would find her scrunched up lengthwise in the width of the bassinett. She is also a very noisy sleeper and it was really tough for me to sleep because every noise woke me up.. Her bedroom is upstairs and we are downstairs. The monitor has helped us out a lot. Although when she has restless nights or when she is sick, I sleep in the guest room next to her room or I pull her into the guest bed with me. I find that all of us get a much better sleep when she is in her own crib. Occassionally she will let out a cry and if we wait a couple minutes she is back to sleep. If she was still in our room, I would have jumped up to try to soothe her. If you are comfortable with moving her to her room, I say do it. I was nervous at first, but after a couple nights it really wasn't bad at all. The hardest part is missing her closeness. GL