Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help-quick question

Default help-quick question

i travelled for a few days. i pumped and froze. some of the smaller bags defrosted a bit. now i have three 8 oz bottles and a 5 oz bottle in the fridge. my guide says defrosted milk is only good for 24 hrs. will i have to throw what he`doesn't use tomorrow away? and some of it had got a little slushy but not really defrosted so i threw that back in my freezer. my flight time had been like 6 hours total that the frozen solid had all been in a packed cooler. is this ok?

Default Re: help-quick question

If the milk is defrosted, yes you will have to throw what is left of the refrigerated milk away.

As for the slushy milk, as long as you put it right in the freezer, it is considered safe to refreeze (note: there should be more ice than milk and ice crystals should be visible throughout--further note that this is a food safety guideline for any frozen food). Mark the slushy milk and use it ASAP.

why is it good in the fridge for 5-7 days then? that's what confuses me. It was never not cold?

When milk is frozen, it changes the way the molecules in the milk behaves. So, instead of it being a recommendation of up to 8 days (as for freshly expressed milk that is stashed in the fridge) it's only recommended to store for a total of 24 hours. Now, if you really wanted to use it a little later, you could do the sniff/taste test. If the milk doesn't taste "off", then it's still good. To be on the safe side, though, I wouldn't suggest going a whole lot longer than 24 hours.

HTH!

Agree with PP, taste the milk. I have a similar issue recently (frozen milk longer in the freezer than the "recommended" period), and I tasted it. It tasted ok, gave it to LO and all went well. Good luck !