Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: trouble with nipple shield and slow gaining baby

Default trouble with nipple shield and slow gaining baby

Hello,

I am writing for advice about my 4 week old infant. I have been nursing her since we came home from the hospital with a nipple shield because I have flat nipples and my daughter was latching on incorrectly and damaging my nipples. We just came home from the Dr. who instructed us to start supplementing due to her sluggish weight gain. She weighed 8lbs 10ozs. at birth and now weighs 9 lbs 11 ozs. I am so frustrated because I cannot get her to latch on without the nipple shield, I cannot get her to open her mouth wide enough to take the beast and she get fussy and gassy whenever I give her formula.

I've consulted 3 lactation consultants and am still struggling to get oour problems solved.
    Thanks for reading!
    Justine

Default Re: trouble with nipple shield and slow gaining baby

What was your baby's lowest weight. When evaluating weight gain you should always go from the lowest weight after birth, not the birth weight. 9 lbs. 11 oz. sounds pretty big for a 4 week old to me. Any signs of dehydration? How is her diaper output? When you have visited the lactation consultant, did they weigh her before and after a feeding to see how much she took? It sometimes can take awhile to wean off of a nipple shield. As the babies mouth grows, it may get easier, so hang in there!

Thanks for writing back My daughter weighed 8lbs 10 oz. at birth. At her two week check up she weighed 9lbs. At that time we were supplementing with formula. After seeing my doctor, and having her tongue-tie clipped I switched exclusively to breastfeeding with a nipple shield. Our last appointment was two days ago when she weighed 9lbs 11oz.
    As for her diapers, she was having 4-5 bowel movements and 4-5 wet diapers a day. Now, since I began supplementing with formula again, she's contistipated and fussy.

Hi, if your daughter gained 11 ounces in two weeks, that's great. I'm not sure why the doctor said it was sluggish weight gain?

This is from LLLI's Breastfeeding Answer Book:

"Average weigth gain for the first three to four months is about six ounces (170 grams) per week, though it is considered acceptable for some babies to gain four or five ounces (113 to 142 gr) per week."

So, 11 oz. in two weeks seems like perfectly normal weight gain.

Also from the BAB:

"Beginning about the third or fourth day, the baby's wet diapers and stools should increase until he has at least 6 wet diapers. Once the stools turn yellow, usually by about the fifth day, the mother should expect to see at least 3 to 4 bowel movements the size of a US quarter or larger everyday (Shrago 1998). After 6 weeks of age some breastfed babies have fewer bowel movements, which is not a cause for concern as long as they are gaining weight within the normal range."

How much formula are you currently supplementing? I would suggest talking with her doctor about the fussiness/gas caused by the formula and indicate that you would really like to exclusively BF. Suggest gradually decreasing the formula supplement while keeping a diaper log and coming in for weight checks every week or two to make sure she's doing alright. Or, you could seek a second opinion from another pediatrician. I'd also suggest another consult with an IBCLC to make sure the nipple shield is correct size and fit and to see how much baby is getting at a feeding. Sometimes nipple shields can cause difficult with milk transfer (though for a baby who can't latch otherwise they can be a lifesaver). You should eventually be able to wean off of the nipple shield, but it might take awhile longer.

Hope this helps!