Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dip in supply?

Default Dip in supply?

My ds is almost 4 mos now and I'm wondering if my supply has taken a dip. my breasts never feel as full as before and only sometimes do I feel a let down. It seems as if he dosen't nurse as long as before (on one breast about 5 to 7 minutes) and now I offer both breasts to make sure he's had enough. I worry that the dip might have started because of feeding on demand and co sleeping. During the night ds is up maybe 2 or three times and I often fall asleep while he's nursing. Am I breaking a latch while asleep? would I feel fuller if I did wait or wake him up every 3 hrs? Don't know what to do or even if this is really a problem

Default Re: Dip in supply?

It is totally normal to feel less full after a while. What is happening is that your supply is regulating itself to meet your baby's demand without a lot of excess.

I wouldn't worry about not always feeling a letdown. Some women never feel them, and it's not a problem. Just watch your baby- so long as you can hear him swallowing, he's getting milk.

It's also normal for a baby to nurse for shorter periods of time as he gets bigger and stronger. Most babies become efficient feeders, getting everything they need in under 10 minutes.

Sounds like you are doing fine!

Thanks so much for all your replys.

I posted the same thing a couple of months ago. My breast wasn't feeling full anymore and dd started to nurse like crazy. So firstly four months is prime time for a growth spurt. And secondly your breasts are never really empty. A soft breast does not mean you have low supply. Mine is soft and we're still bfeeding.(two month's after my post!) As long as your baby's diaper output is fine and he gains weight well you have nothing to worry about!

thanks for all the advice, counting the poopies and telling my self this is normal!