Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eating every 3-4 hours, normal?

Default Eating every 3-4 hours, normal?

My DD just turned 5 months on saturday. Starting on Friday she woke at 7:15am and didn't want to nurse again until 10:40. Then, she didn't want to nurse again until 2pm, Then 5:30, 7:30, and 12am, then she wakes up around 7ish. She did this on Saturday and seems to be following the same schedule today. It just feels weird to go from nursing every 2 hours like clockwork during the day, except at night, she always has awoke just once to eat.

Is this normal? She is EBF.

Default Re: Eating every 3-4 hours, normal?

Yes this is "normal", but anything goes with BF babies at times. Some days they will be on "schedule" and other days not so much. Your L.O. might be going through a growth spurt as well. So long as she continues to have a normal amount of wet diapers and stools for her and she does not seem to be going less IYKWIM?
    HTH

Some moms have older babies that still nurses every two hours. Just remember that breast milk digest quickly, that's why bfed babies "eats" more often than formula fed babies. And at 5 months your baby could be going through a growth spurt and start nursing more often. My dd went through a growth spurt recently and she was nursing every hour! It drove me nuts!! But now my supply is up again and all is well!

It should be fine. Like Chazzi said just keep an eye on her diaper output and as long as alls well in that area you're good to go. I swear babies wait til we are adjusted to their routine then switch it just for fun

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies