Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Itchy and oozing nipple sores - What's going on?!

Default Itchy and oozing nipple sores - What's going on?!

Hi, I successful bf my dd until she was 22 months and didn't have any problems.

I have a 9 week old ds that I am not sure he's latching on right. I have sores on the underside, base of my nipples where his tongue touches. It stings at first when he latches on, then it's ok. The sores are tiny and they ooze yellowish-orange clear liquid and then it dries and forms a little scab. My aeriolas itch constantly. I am not sure if I have cracked nipples, thrush or and infection! But something is definitely going on! Thanks for your help.

Kimberly
    Ashley Pilar 8/30/03
    Zachary Virgil 3/30/06

Default Re: Itchy and oozing nipple sores - What's going on?!

Well, hopefully an LLLeader will give you some more info, but I'd say it sounds like it could be thrush. Does the entire areola itch, or just the sores when they scab over? If its just the sores, they could just be from bad latch, and then they itch while healing? I would try to talk with an LLLeader or lactation consultant to evaluate further.

Default Re: Itchy and oozing nipple sores - What's going on?!

I agree with llowe -- this sounds like something that would be more accurately diagnosed in person. It sounds miserable -- please don't delay in finding local help.

--Rebecca