Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nursing around family/extended family

Default Re: nursing around family/extended family

When I'm in my own house, I'll nurse wherever I want. If certain people are here, I will cover us up. At anyone else's house, I tend to go to another room to nurse and let her take as long as she wants. My dad and my grandpa are very uncomfortable with BFing. My one aunt is as well. I'm not sure about the others, because they've never said anything or shown that they aren't comfortable with it. We don't spend much time with DH's family, but I've nursed plenty of times infront of his grandma. The first time was after we were home and I was on the recliner feeding DD2 and she wanted to see the baby. I said "You can only see her if you don't mind seeing her nursing, because I'm not going to stop just because you showed up". She said she was fine with that and she knows that hungry babies need their food, she wouldn't stop eating just because someone showed up either.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Hey ladies,
    you are all SOOOOO helpful and so supportive! Thank you so much!

Well, last night (sunday dinner again!) I tried to be more assertive and was like "i think he's hungry" (like another pp - they want to keep holding him and are like "what he's hungry again?") -- so i went into the other room and took my time....and didn't care...and it worked out great!

I like the cheeseburger analogy....like you're eating it and someone takes it away!

I am glad i am not the only person who has come across this situation - I just want to do what's best for him but I get a little nervous around so many people and especially when i'm not in my own home (w/ my nice chair, nursing stool, boppy, peace/quiet and privacy!)!!!!!

We tend to go to my mom and dad's quite a bit. My mom actually bought a boppy for us for when we're there - that way I don't have to haul mine there and so we're always comfortable. There are times that we need the boppy, other times we don't need anything at all. So knowing there's one there just in case helps me. She got hers at a second hand store but it still looks brand new.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Talking Re: nursing around family/extended family

My ds is 4weeks on tuesday also (september 25th). Anyways - just do whatever feels comforable to you. When we are at my mil's house i just "pop it out" whereever, i don't go to another room. i don't care, that's how my son is fed. My fil will leave and go outside and not come back in until i'm finished, but that's his problem for being uncomfortable with it.

Take your sweet time, you're not on anyone else's schedule but your baby's.

Francesca
    Charles - 3 (ebf 2 1/2yrs)
    Everett - 4wks.

I nurse in front of everyone! To me, family is family and if I can get together to eat with them then DD can do the same. They're used to me now anyway so it makes no difference to them.

If I'm at a friend's I'll ask if they prefer for me to nurse in another room.

In my house, it's where ever I want, regardless of who's there.

Congratulations on your LO. GL!

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Take your time, hon!

I don't bother with a cover when bfing around my mom, sister, sister-in-law or friends that have or will bf, children who have siblings who are/were bf.

But I know my dad and brothers would be uncomfortable so I use a cover or walk out of the room to latch. Or if I'm in the spinny armchair, I'll just spin around to latch.

If you're uncomfortable, ask if there is someplace you can go. My parents turned their office into a bfing room/nap room and that's super nice with a daybed, boppy pillows and other pillows aand playpen.

I found out the hard way not too rush...gives LO gas and green poo from not getting to the hind milk. Its taken me 4 months, but I'm pretty comfy nursing anywhere, but I worked up to it. Start by finding clothing that covers where you need (hides tummy or whatever), maybe get a sling or wrap and try that, if you are out in public and its not too crowded try NIP there, and eventually you just get the hang of it. But no rush, as long as your LO is happy, you're doing great and everyone else will have to wait!
    Married to my best friend since 2001 , Proud mom of my baby girl Ella 6/19/07

"A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world." John 16:21

lurking after weaning...but when my little one was wee, i pretty much nursed anywhere. it was awkward at first and i always asked if people were ok with it when i was not in my own house, but never had any issue. ijust made it very clear that it was time for her to eat and those who were uncomforatble usually excused themselves anyway. others would just continue on being normal. it IS normal, ya know?

as for covering up, i used nursing tanks and an over shirt with buttons or a zipper. unzip the overshirt, undo the clasp of the nursing tank and pop babe on. took a little practice ( at home in the comfort of my own place) but soon it was just seconds and most people never even noticed i was doing it.

once babe is latched, over shirt can shield a bit and the nursing tank covers everything else up...even my tummy ( great now that winter is approaching...) babe's head covers the tiny exposed part and that was that.
    hope that helps. in the end it's your decision how adn when and where you nurse and who is involved. to me , the less big deal i made about it , the less big deal it was to others. the ones i used ( and still sleep in today...even after weaning) are from a company called bravado designs. they have great nursing bras and tanks. really well made and thought out well ...not just a clasp thrown onto a cheap oter bra with no support. they don't have underwire either, which is a bonus for comfort. i never felt unsupported or floppy

www.bravadodesigns.com is their website. good luck and happy nursing. IMHO, as long as babe is getting it, it's GREAT!

meohmy