Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bf and uti

Default bf and uti

my d has had a uti for about two and a half weeks know i change her all the time and now her dr but her on new meds to clear it up but what can i do i cant figure out if i am doing something wrong i am not a first time mom but a first time mom of a girl so alot of this stuff with a girl is very new to me never had this problem with my 2 boys

Default Re: bf and uti

Well it is "easier" for bacteria to enter a girls urethra than a boys, so that may be part of the reason why you never saw it in the boys... but make sure her urine output (that link is for if baby is older than 6 weeks - here's a link is she's under 6 weeks) is good and hopefully the meds will work. thats all I can offer right now - (gotta run)
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

my lo got her first uti the day before her first birthday and has had two since then. it is not uncommon because as my ped put it "they have a short track." anyway, we had to follow up with a sonogram and VCUG at a ped radiologist to be sure her flow was in the right direction and her kidneys were not damaged. its possible that the urine 'refluxes' back the wrong way increasing the chance for more UTI's.

its also possible that the infection didn't entirely clear up the first time. after each of maddie's infections we have had to do a urine sample (boy is this an experience!) at the end of the antibiotic and then again a month later.

changing diapers frequentely is good and you should limit the soap you use during a bath. we just use a plain, wet cloth to wipe her during changes and A&D ointment if needed.

i hope this helps. good luck to you and your lo!

Max & Maddie's Mommy

Madeline Grace 06/02/02, reflux
    Luke Macsen 04/01/08, severe reflux, MFPI, FTT

thank you we ha the ultrasound done and her kidney looked ok but we have to have the other test done they tryed twice but her little area is sosmall that they could not gt the catde in but we will see

definitely not the most pleasant experience. hang in there!

Max & Maddie's Mommy

Madeline Grace 06/02/02, reflux
    Luke Macsen 04/01/08, severe reflux, MFPI, FTT

she is doing fine now but all of a sudden she has not had a bowel movement for a week