Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenugreek causing problems??

Unhappy Fenugreek causing problems??

Hi ladies. Thank you for this great forum. My son is 8 weeks old and I have been EXCLUSIVELY bf him since birth. This is a huge accomplishment for me because my first ds (4yo) was not. But that's over and done with. I have been taking fenugreek (610mg each) 3 pills, 3 times a day for a total of 9 pills to increase my supply. It has really worked well, as I can nurse my baby for 30 minutes and then still pump 4 ounces (combined) right after nursing. I am building up a stash for when I go back to work. I have been taking the fenugreek for about 5 days now and have noticed significant changes in my son. His bm's are now dark greenish and watery. I thought they were runny before, but now they are like green water. There is so much that the diaper doesn't absorb it right away and it just stays on his skin. It's been kind of mucousy too. He also has some EXTREME gas, and is constantly making faces and grunting like it's trapped in his intestines. He's never been a good burper, because I can rarely get him to burp after nursing. Is all of this related to the fenugreek? I know so many people who took it while nursing and it had no effect on their babies. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    Tracey

Default Re: Fenugreek causing problems??

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on exclusively BFing your LO! It might be that with such a large supply, your son is getting mostly foremilk rather than a good balance of foremilk and hindmilk. Foremilk is higher in lactose than the hindmilk (hindmilk is higher in fat) and usually comes at the beginning of the feeding. With and oversupply, babies can fill up with mostly foremilk before they get to the hindmilk, and the high amount of lactose can upset their tummies, resulting in green stools and gas.

Does your son currently nurse on both sides at each feeding? If so, I'd try just doing one breast per feeding. This way baby is more likely to get the hindmilk. You could then pump the other breast if you need to work on a freezer stash. If baby wants to nurse again shortly after a feed, you can try putting him back to the SAME breast again. After its been awhile between feeds, switch to the other side.

You may be able to stop the fenugreek and still have plenty to feed your son and build a stash. Now that you supply is built up, if you keep removing that amount of milk from your breasts, your breasts will keep making that amount of milk - supply and demand.

Thank you for your reply. Since birth he has only nursed on one side per feeding. I offer him the other side and he is not interested. I will try stopping the fenugreek to see if it makes him bm's yellow again, like they should be. I didn't even think that maybe I was actually making so much that he's getting mostly foremilk. I have noticed that when I pump there is A LOT of watery foremilk (way more than before the fenugreek).

I am still wondering about the extreme gassiness though.

http://http://www.kellymom.com/herba...ml#babyeffects

You might find this helpful. Oversupply could also be causing the gassiness.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Fenugreek really affected my LO. She was gassy and screaming (instead of her usual whiny cry) and bearing down a lot like she was constipated. I wasn't sure at first if it was the fenugreek so I did an experiment and stopped taking it. Well, my supply went down by about 1 ounce a day but my LO seemed a lot better. It's a shame because that stuff works but you should try to see what affect stopping it would have. It might take a few days. Good luck!

I have found the fenugreek to cause temporary bowel issues. My son had very runny green poops when I started taking the herbs but after a few weeks they are back to normal as he is now used to the fenugreek. I asked my pedi about it and she said to not worry it's fine.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I quit taking it the day that I posted my original post (10/21)and he still has the runny green poop and the BAD gas. So, nothing has changed (except that I'm not taking fenugreek now). This is very frustrating! Where is the bright yellow poo that he used to have? I still have a good supply, I pumped after feeding him last night and got 5 ounces (combined), so that's great for me. Thanks for your replies.

Tracey

It could be that your son's green stools are due to oversupply rather than the fenugreek directly. Even though you stopped taking the herbs, your supply is still large. You could try block feeding for longer periods of time (you could probably find more information about this on the Too Much Milk forum if you'd like to try it). Basically, you feed from only one breast for a block of time. You keep putting baby back to the same breast for that specified block of time no matter how many nursings you have. Then you switch to the other side for a block of time. You can increase the amount of time that you stay with one breast until baby is getting enough hindmilk to return to normal stools.

Of course, there's also the possibility that it could be caused by something else entirely. Are the stools ALWAYS green, or sometimes better/worse?

I tried the block feeding for about 5 days with no change in the poop. I don't know if that was long enough to see a change. The poop is always green and extremely runny like green water. He goes at least every time I feed him,sometimes more. So that's about 8 times per day. He also has not gained ANY weight this week, I just found that I out today. I weighed him last Saturday and then today and he weighs exactly the same amount. It seems that the milk is running straight through him, but coming out extremely smelly and green on the other end.

Smile Re: Fenugreek causing problems??

Sounds like the herbs are working too good.

Your baby is showing classic oversupply symptoms.

Try pumping a little BEFORE you feed and see if that doesn't help