Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How Often Should an8 month old BF?

Default How Often Should an8 month old BF?

Hi all. I am new to the site so I am sorry if this question has been asked before. Anyway, my 8 month old is still nursing around 5 times a day and eating her three solid meals a day. Do any of you know just how often an 8 month old should be nursing? Or if this is normal? I appreciate your imput.

Default Re: How Often Should an8 month old BF?

I'm pretty sure it is normal. My 10 month old nurses 5-7 x a day and has been liek that for a few months, plus she eats 3 meals a day and 2 snacks. My pediatricion said she should get 24 ounces of milk per day. I know that is hard to measure when your nurse. Buy, I figured about 5x a day 5 oz each time.

There is a very wide range of normal at this age. As long as your son is still getting the majority of his nutrition from BM, then what he is doing is fine. His solids should not make up the majority of his calories yet!

HTH.

In my opinion, a baby should feed as often as he/she likes. I cannot tell you how many times I've been frustrated by so-called parenting books that are filled to the brim with bad advice regarding this subject. "What To Expect The First Year" recommends that a baby who is your baby's age shouldn't be nursing more than 3 times a day. Ignore such advice.

My 9 month old takes 3 5oz bottles of ebm @ DCP as well as 3-4oz of food twice and one finger food snack. She nurses an additional 3 times in the evening and once in the morning, we co-sleep and she can latch/unlatch herself as well as get to the goods without waking me so I am not sure how often she nurses at night, but I figure another 2 or 3 times (either that or she just sleeps attached).
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Smile Re: How Often Should an8 month old BF?

My little one will be 8 mos on the 12th. He still nurses about 12 times in a 24 hour period, sometimes more. He usually eats solids twice a day, sometimes he'll only eat a bite or two and that's it.

BM still needs to be the main source of food for little one.

Deb

My guy loved to BF. When he was younger he would nurse almost every hour. At about 6-8 months he would nurse every 2 hours. Then at 10 months he really slowed down.

Thank you all for your responses. I am asking that question because my husband and I are going to go on a trip in July without our dd and I am trying to figure out just how much ebm she needs.

I must say that I am very concerned as we are going to be away from her for four days. Currently she feeds between five and seven times a day (that is including around two times during the night). She can not go back to sleep with out nursing, so I am petrified as to if she will be able to be away from me. We did a trial run a few weeks ago where my husband and mil took her away for one night and they had to bring her home because she would not sleep! Has anyone dealt with this situation before? If so how did you handle it?

Smile Re: How Often Should an8 month old BF?

Silly question but, why can't she go with you?

Post Re: How Often Should an8 month old BF?

HI! That is not a silly question at all. She can go with us as we are just going on a vacation. But I was hoping for some me and hubby time (if that is ever possible with an 8 month old ha ha!). I was just thinking that maybe I could also get some rest and relaxation! But it may not be possible!