Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS gagged and then cried

Default DS gagged and then cried

Okay, so BLS not off to a good start - the tiny piece of mushy asparagus I gave Laith caused major gagging (not a big deal) followed by a long crying session (kind of a big deal to me.) What does this mean? Should I try again?

BTW - I'm sorry I don't post much in this forum. I don't really have much to add yet. I will respond when I actually know something!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: DS gagged and then cried

Baby could have been upset because he gagged. Was the gagging caused by the stringy-ness of the asparagus?

You could try with some other kinds of foods cut into french fry sizes that your baby can hold and put into the mouth himself.
    At the beginning, we gave our son things like:

steamed carrots
    really ripe pears
    potatoes that are cooked till soft
    water melon
    ... foods that he can mush with his gums.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

We cut up smooshy foods into little pieces in the beginning. Bananas and avocados were a big hit! Many BLS promoters shun mesh feeders, but I really like them and will be using them for my next LO as well.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Sorry to hear it wasn't a great first experience.
    I think there are several reasons why he might have been upset.
    Firstly, as has already been suggested, the gagging may have been a bit of a shock.
    But also, asparagus has quite a strong flavour doesn't it? If all he is used to is breastmilk, which is quite sweet, that flavour may have been too strong for him. Maybe something sweeter, like carrot would go down better to start with? I did give my DS asparagus quite early on, and he liked it (he likes quite strong savoury tastes generally, but so do I, so maybe that's made a difference) but possibly not all babies will take to the flavour straight off.
    Or it could just be that he was a bit confused by the whole eating experience. After all, if you're used to all your nourishment being breastmilk, it is a big change to get used to.
    Try not to be too disheartened. It can take a while for some babies to really get into eating solids, whatever method you use. He will get the hang of it in his own time I'm sure.
    Last edited by mrsavocet; October 21st, 2007 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling

A couple of quick thoughts ... we did BLS with DS who is now almost 15 mo old.

I'd personally recommend sticking to foods that are pretty smooshy and easy to eat without needing alot of "chewing". My personal test was whether I could eat the food by just smoothing it between my tounge & the roof of my mouth without needing to use my teeth at all.

Lots of good ideas posted already!

Our early "successes" with BLS included sweet potato and winter squash. And then soft fruits like pears and watermelon.

Other people have had good luck with things like avocado & very ripe banana.

In my opinion - the gagging can be scary for the LO, but is made even more scary if their parents get scared. Does that makse sense? My DS did some spectacular gagging early on (to the point of throwing up) and even though it was super hard for me I always remained super calm and reassured DS that he was ok and everything was ok.

Another thought is that your LO may not be quite ready for alot of solids yet. From your siggy it looks like he's just 8 mo old?

My DS really didn't eat much solids until he was I think about 8.5 mo old and I recall reading other posts from moms who did BLS that their LO started really eating at about 8 to 9 mo old.

Whenever my LO had a scary gagging episode, we'd back off of solids for a couple days and go back to mostly (or exclusively) breastfeeding and then try again later on. Or go back to only foods that I knew that DS felt comfortable with.

One of the things I really liked about doing BLS is that we offered DS food and let him set the pace for when he was really ready to eat and what / how much he wanted to eat. I remember a period when DS really wasn't eating much and I was getting all sorts of pressure from people about doing purees - but we stuck it out and I had confidence that eventually DS would figure out solids.

Hang in there!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    Many BLS promoters shun mesh feeders, but I really like them and will be using them for my next LO as well.
    I confess that I am one of these people. In my opinion - a LO will eat when they are ready and that their ability to self feed & pincer grip develops at the right time for each LO. We were given some mesh feeders and the only thing we ever used then for was so DS could suck / chew on "momsicles" of frozen breastmilk when he was first teething. There can be a frustrating period for LO and the parents where LO is clearly interested in eating but doesn't quite yet have the motor skills ... but this passes pretty quickly!

Each person makes the decisions that she feels are right for her and her LO. I really don't think that this is a "right" or "wrong" here.
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post
    I confess that I am one of these people.
    Like I didn't already know that! I still love you all the same! You are right, different strokes for different folks. Connor could pick up food pieces and put them in his mouth but gagged and choked time and time again. It was very scary (probably more for me) and I decided to try them. He only used them for a few weeks and wasn't interested in them anymore. He let me know when he wanted to try again with picking things up, so we just went from there.

ETA: I didn't know about BLS in the beginning of Connor starting solids, but even knowing what I know now I would not rule them out, JMTC. We will be doing BLS starting from the beginning (6 mo, not birth, LOL!) with our next LO, I plan to just play it by ear as far as the mesh feeders are concerned.
    Last edited by ChasingPrisms; October 21st, 2007 at 03:46 PM.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    pick up food pieces and put them in his mouth but gagged and choked time and time again. It was very scary (probably more for me)
    Oooh! That reminds me - I forgot to include the gagging vs. choking info

gagging = moving food around in mouth, can involve dramatic sound effects, turning red, spitting food out of mouth, and possibly even throwing up ... all very dramatic & scary but part of learning how to handle solid foods

choking = obstructed airway, LO can not breathe ... this is a BIG problem and you need to help LO by removing the obstruction

I HIGHLY recommend that everyone take an infant CPR class! An infant CPR class will include instruction & practice on a "dummy" of what to do for an obstructed airway and how to do heart compressions, etc.

We took a class when DS was about 3 mo old, and insisted that my parents (who babysit sometimes) also HAD to take the class. Everybody thought it was a very very worthwhile class.

Lynn
    Lynn

Thanks ladies for the advice and support. What would I do without you?

Laith has been trying things for about 6 weeks now. I haven't tried BLS until now because we have a babysitter who comes to our house everyday. She's taken CPR but I'm nervous about him eating lots of solid-y type things when she's here. And today she let me know that she's nervous about it as well. (I showed her the food that I've steamed and frozen and told her she could microwave them and give them to Laith. She looked a little worried and said that she wants to wait a little longer.)

He was definitely gagging, not choking. I wasn't too worried - I was rather amused, actually, and kept a straight face.

I'll just continue with some of the softer veggies and fruits.

I do have 2 mesh bags. I've used them a few times. He'll suck on them for a minute and then throw them down.

I'm definitely NOT worried about his nutrient intake. He is still breastfeeding a lot so he's getting what he needs. (I'd do only breastmilk until he's 1 if I could.) So, thankfully, I feel no pressure to force food on him. We still go several days here and there with no food, just momma milk!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by lsksam View Post

I HIGHLY recommend that everyone take an infant CPR class! An infant CPR class will include instruction & practice on a "dummy" of what to do for an obstructed airway and how to do heart compressions, etc.

Thats all I ever have to offer to these threads
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.