Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Reassurance for BLS

Default Need Reassurance for BLS

My ds turned 9 months yesterday and we have been working on solids since about 5.5 months. He is a very do-it-yourself hands-on baby, so we went the BLS approach. I have tried to feed him from a spoon, but he usually clamps his mouth shut and turns his head, so it works much better if he holds the food and puts it in himself. He likes to try new stuff, but he never really seems to be getting that much in his mouth. He pretends to chew like a champ though. He only has 2 bottom teeth, and still nurses every 2-3 hours. He is crawling like a madman and cruising too, and I heard somewhere that babies focus on one thing at a time, so if they are learning a new gross motor skill they focus all attention and energy on it ...

I guess what I am looking for is for reassurance from you who have been down this road that it is not abnormal and that he will eat eventually. He likes sitting at the table and gnawing on food, but when it comes to it most of the food ends up on the floor and in the dog's mouth.

Default Re: Need Reassurance for BLS

If it helps, none of my children really ate a lot of solid food until they were 8 -10months or so. I tried to introduce solids the "traditional" way with the first 2, but they were very determined in their refusal of the spoon, so I kind of did BLS by default. For my third baby I went down this route deliberately (and was sooooo much happier than the previous times!) and he probably was the quickest of the 3 to get the hang of solids. Even so though, I think he was around 8 months before he really began swallowing a lot of food.
    Anyway, my kids are 9, 4 and 2 years old now and they are all good eaters, despite a difficult start. try not to worry - he'll get the hang of it in time.

Don't worry mama! My second dd only really started swallowing her food way after 10 months! And even now she eats like a little bird. But with her last checkup pead was happy with her weight! Your little man will start swallowing when he's good and ready.

We are doing BLS with DS2. He didn't really start to eat much of anything until 9 months. I now offer finger foods twice a day. He gets board of it in under 5 minutes. Though he can pack away quite a bit in 5 minutes.
    Amanda Wife to my wonderful husband 06_98
    Breastfeeding, Sling Wearing, Co-sleeping, Cloth Diapering Mom to my Intact Boys
    DS #1 - 02_02 BF'ed for 9 Months and
    DS #2 - 10_06 Currently BF'ed 22 Months and still going.

dd was some as your lo-no spoon, no way, so BLS the whole way!! with others-She didn't start really eating a fair amount until bwt 9-10 months .She still has days when she isn't really interested and will take a few bites and play and other times will gobble up tons. Also seemed more interested after her pincer grasp got really good. She usually eats fair amount breakfast and dinner and lunch seems more snacky. I always just put food out while I eat beside her in the high chair and if she eats she eats and if not, nothing to worry about.....mmmmmm, more milk later

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

thanks Mamas. I know it will all work out, but sometimes I second guess...that's what a weekend around ILs will do for you.

Quote Originally Posted by raline View Post
    thanks Mamas. I know it will all work out, but sometimes I second guess...that's what a weekend around ILs will do for you.
    Oh no----IL-itis is a horrible condition...don't let it catch hold of you!!!!

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

Agree with PPs' dont worry, you are doing a great job by offering him variety of food, he will swollow food when he is ready

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."