Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could my 3wk old have refulx??

Default Could my 3wk old have refulx??

Ive been readying symptoms of acid reflux and am thinking my daugther has that. But how early can they get it? And w/ the reflux do they cry after ALL feedings? Because she doesn't cry after all the feedings. And she tends to have her crying spells at night. She makes like gasping noises too...sounds like she is almost choking sometimes!! Do you think I should get her tested? I don't want to start giving her anything if I know for sure thats what she has. Its just been a very long week! She wants to be up anywhere from 10pm-5am! Sometimes straight thru the whole time...and it seems she will fall asleep breastfeeding...but as soon as I lay her down she will start fussing and eventually start crying really hard. if I told her that also helps her to stop crying...so eityher she is colicky or has reflux...any suggestions????

Default Re: Could my 3wk old have refulx??

Hi there. I would definitely take her into your ped to see exactly what is going on. Is she arching her back and crying when she's feeding? That can be a big clue. Before you consent to putting her on medication, go on an elimination diet first to make sure her symptoms can't be remedied by you removing something from your own diet.
    As far as her being colicky, that is always a possibility, and if she is it will only be made worse if she truly has reflux. Make sure to spend most of your time together in close contact. If you have a sling, wear her in it a lot and feed her whenever she wants to be fed. If you don't have a sling, get one!!
    You mentioned she cries when you put her back to bed at night. Is she sleeping next to you in your room? I couldn't help but notice that she stops crying once you pick her up. If she isn't sleeping next to you or with you in your bed, I would change that and keep her close by. After all, she's only 3 weeks old! Being alone in a dark room in a huge crib would be frightening for anyone who's only been around 3 weeks.
    Good luck and hang in there. You're already doing the best thing by breastfeeding

this was EXACTLY what my baby did starting at 3 weeks. At first I thought it was colic and then reflux. I read every book... spent hours researching. Talked to my doctor. She said to try her on zantac and see if it helped. And to feed her sitting up, keep her upright 30 minutes after each feeding and to get her a little wedge pillow to sleep on. I just did not feel right about giving my 1 month old baby zantac so I waited it out a little bit longer and all the symptoms went away. She cried with some feedings... not all. That eventually stopped. I realized it was not colic nor reflux but she was just extremely fussy and having a hard time settling into her body and the world. She is now 9 weeks old and i would say at about 8 weeks she calmed down tremendously. Now this is just my experience... but I too was really worried it was reflux. Just know the testing is rather invasive and I don't know what your personal feelings about the medicine are... but it just did not sit well with me. If your baby really does have reflux and is in pain... then you might consider that. But my mother said my brother had horrible reflux and she treated it with the pillow, etc. No zantac. If your baby is not fussing after every feeding, arching his/her back and refusing the breast... just give it a bit more time and see. Try keeping your baby upright after feedings and get this little pillow at babies r us or wherever. My daughter hardly spits up anymore and I know that helped that. We all assume we will have these ideal little ones who never fuss and are perfect and lovely. But it is a major transition for them and often times they really need time to settle... lord knows mine did!

I totally agree with pp, I think reflux is blamed for a lot, when it's really not reflux at all. I thought my son had reflux also and my ped even dx it, although I don't know how because she never tested him and wasn't there to see him when he did it. I was told to put him on zantac and did, it seemed to help at times but other times, it didn't. I took him off of it and he eventually grew out of what was bothering him - he is 5 months old and doesn't have a problem at all. If it had been true reflux he would not have grown out of it so quickly, I believe.

I truly think that it was my OALD, when babies are that young they don't know how to regulate the flow of the milk very well and since so much time is spent at the breast in those first few weeks sometimes we end up producing too much milk. They get upset, esp when we're not past the engorgement stage and milk is flowing very fast.

Sorry to ramble I just think that reflux is overly dx and since the only way doctors know how to fix is it by some chemical, I think we need to be careful. I wish I had been.

I know when I eliminated dairy that tremendously helped with my ds fussiness.

HTH! Jessica

I don't want to give my daughter any medicines like zantac either. My sister in law suggested Acidophilous...its more of a natural medicine. It helped w/ her baby..has anybody ever used this? I guess I just think maybe it is reflux cuz I read the symptoms and she does have some of them. But like some of you said, maybe she is just fussy right now. I know that acidophilous won't hurt so, so I think I will try that and see how that goes....and yes i have slept w/ her at times. Her crib is on our room. last night she slept on my chest for some of the time and she didn't mind that...so I will probably try that more! And what is this pillow you guys are talking about?

I was sleeping with my daughter on my chest too... because I was so afraid to put her down incase her reflux got worse. I found that I was doing myself more harm than good... and she actually sleeps better on this pillow. I still have my daughter in a bassinet so I have a pillow for that and a pillow for her crib. Go to babiesrus.com and look for a sleep wedge or a sleep positioner... that has an incline. I eliminated dairy too to see if that helped. I honestly don't know if it has. And I also read that stress makes a mother's milk acidic and if you are like me... the crying and not knowing is stressing you out and your baby gets that. It is so hard. I also used gripe water. It has fennel and dill and other herbs and I felt better about using that than zantac. I truly don't know if it works... but it does calm her down. Honestly. And my daughter would get going at about 7 and cry until 11. I started just swaddling her up and bouncing her. That helped... another reason I knew it was not reflux. Honestly, she might have abit of it... but not enough to warrant medicine. And your baby might be the same. Try the acidophilus or what ever else makes you comfortable... but give it a little time. Your baby might just need to settle. I know it is so hard in the transition period. I am still there... but it has gotten so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by TristaDani
    I don't want to give my daughter any medicines like zantac either. My sister in law suggested Acidophilous...its more of a natural medicine. It helped w/ her baby..has anybody ever used this?
    I've heard of some moms using probiotics like acidophilous for babies with tummy troubles. I believe there is one that is the same bacteria already in the breastfed babies gut called bifidobacteria, and some of the recommendations I've read says to use the probiotic that is already naturally in their gut. Some of the reasons for doing this might be if your baby has received antibiotics at birth or recently to reestablish their normal, healthy bacteria. This site talks some about using probiotics in mom and baby: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...thrush.html#04

The other thing to consider with all of this is that the symptoms you are describing [I]might[I] be reflux, they also just might be normal. Babies digestive systems are immature until they are 3-4 months old. Much of the gassiness, colic, spitting up, etc often resolve on their own by this age.

Also, you mentioned that she seems to choke and sputter. Is this during a feeding or between feedings? If during, it could be overactive letdown or oversupply contributing to her fussiness. You might want to read this info on that topic to see if the symptoms match it as well. Reflux and oversupply/overactive letdown symptoms are very similar.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/ger.html

Hang in there! It might take a little detective work, but you'll figure out the cause and hopefully a solution as well. You might find it helpful to talk one-on-one with your local LLL Leader about the symptoms and possible solutions.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids