Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Nursing while lying down

Default Help! Nursing while lying down

My dd has started sleeping with us, and it seems since then she sleeps more soundly and a little longer (Yay!). However, to make this the perfect arrangement, I of course would like to be able to breastfeed her lying down. I've only been successful at this a couple times. Usually, we need to get up and go to the couch, which means we both wake up more than I would like. It just seems when I nurse her in bed she squirms or rolls away, or it is just too hard for her to latch on and she gets frustrated. Also, we have a queen size bed, so rolling around a lot is not good for my dh.

Any suggestions for how to make nursing while lying down easier? I'm hoping as she gets more head control it will become easier.

Thank you!!
    Jen
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Default Re: Help! Nursing while lying down

Hi Jen!

Here is a few photos of what some moms do for side lying nursing.

-I get myself positioned: I like 2 pillows for my head (with one more length wise for my side/back, one width wise. I place another pillow between my knees to keep my hips in line),
    -get DS tummy to tummy with him looking up to me
    -latch him on and then place a small rolled blanket behind his back (when he was smaller). HTH

This was hard for me also. We are getting better at it though.

I need two pillows for my head, have my arms around LO's head. Try to get him on his side, but he prefers his back with head turned.

Of course, for us, this only works when going to bed. For middle of nite nursing he insists on being held.

Hoping it gets easier still!

Just keep practicing. It's not the most comfortable thing, but more comfy than getting up!
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

I had a really hard time with the side lying position until DS was less "floopy". It wasn't until he was 4-5 mos that we were pros at it. I also think (for me anyway) that it would be easier to nurse lying down with larger boobs. My small boobs and a floppy baby made for some really uncomfortable positions. It was just easier to bring my boppy to bed and sit up when DS woke.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Yeah, I think I'll try the Boppy in bed. At least that way we don't have to go to the couch, which inevitably makes Charlotte think it's play time (a lot of fun at 5 am!). And I'll just keep trying to nurse lying down and see how it goes. I'm glad to know it's easier when they are bigger! Thanks!!

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Thank you also, Maria, for the link to the pictures! That is very helpful!

Still breastfeeding !

and !

I agree with Luke's Mom. I had a really hard time the first few months mainly because my boobs are small. I always felt that I had to lay in a contorted position in order for LO to nurse. After she got a little bit bigger things improved, although it was never that comfortable for me. The pillow pushed against my back definitely helped.
    Mom to a beautiful little girl-born June 27th, 2006

LO didnt get it till he was a couple months old.

Micah Mateo 10 months old
    And my angel Tyler born and passed 3/3/06