Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help, frustrated with length of night feeding!

Default Please help, frustrated with length of night feeding!

I am really hoping you all can help me, my lo has been eating around 5 am each day and has usually gone back to sleep after till around 7:30. This started a couple weeks ago and she seems to have a habit of it now. The problem is, she is now starting to stay up then and, needless to say, dh and I prefer the later wake time. Also, prior to a couple weeks ago, (don't hate me) she was sleeping 7-7 with no food. She had been like that for about 6 weeks! Now she may or may not need the food but I need to know, how long does it take you to get your lo back to bed after a night feeding and do they go back right after nursing or do they need extra soothing? It used to take me about 15 min to nurse and she'd be back asleep after no longer than 30 min(diaper change and me stumbling down to her room), now its stretching past an hour and driving me nuts! Am I making this worse by taking too long? She just doesn't seem to fall asleep while eating then. Do you think I could avoid this feeding by trying a dream feed right before I go to bed? Any hints for having a quick feeding and back to bed? Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: Please help, frustrated with length of night feeding!

When my LO gets up at night, we go to the rocking chair (in the next room / just a lamp on), feed, and as soon as he shows he's done, it's right back to the crib. There's no talking or smiling (if I can help it! sometimes he's just too cute though!). In his room, I keep the blinds drawn and it's pretty dark, so that may help him simply fall back to sleep. I sometimes hear him stir for a few minutes, but he always falls back to sleep on his own within 10 minutes or so...
    I've started to only change his diaper if he seems really awake (then I'll try feeding him a bit more afterwards), or if he's obviously soaking wet or had a poop. Otherwise, diaper changing can wait until next feeding (or when the sun's up!)

What's a dream feed? If it involves moving the baby from his crib when he's asleep, I'm not so sure I could do it....

So your 5 month old is sleeping from 7-5:30 and then being a bit playful and then going back down til 7:30 AM? Can I have your sleep habits please? Just teasing. My 10 month old has never slept longer than 4 hours.

Anyway, I think its common for them to do this, especially if they are working on a milestone. Is your LO crawling yet? It could be that she is getting close. Or perhaps teeth?

You could try pushing her bedtime earlier or later by 15-20 minutes to see if that would help.

Re: Dream feed. I've read pros and cons of it. It could just lead to another habit. Plus the con was that nobody likes to be woken from a nice sleep!!

Another idea, after you guys gets up at 730, you could try taking a walk in the daylight to help reset her circadian rhythm. Show her that 730 is when we get up and play.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I second the milestone or teething, its a phase and it will pass..

Could be the diper change is actually making it harder for her to fall back asleep?!, I never changed at night unless my lo had a poopy diper and every time after changing it seems like it takes longer than usual for him to go back to sleep. try not to do that and see if she falls asleep faster.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My lo (now 9 months) did the same thing that your lo is doing. Now he tends to go for a few days sleeping until 6-6:30, an then he'll start waking at 5-5:30 for a few days. This is how I have dealt with it, not that it is the right way by any means:

I moved bedtime a little later. He was asleep in his crib at 7:00, and now it is more like 7:15-7:30 because I nurse at 7:00. I don't go and get him out of his crib when he wakes before 6:00. I let him fuss, talk, and cry (a bit). If he is wailing I don't let it go for too long before going to get him. Then I don't nurse him until 6:00. I think it is working, because in general he is waking later- and sometimes he will fall back asleep by himself when he wakes early.

For awhile I was just planning on getting up at 5:00- even if I wasn't getting lo up, I couldn't fall back to sleep with him fussing. I went to bed earlier and that helped.

Good luck!

Thanks to you all, I just wasn't sure if I was causing her to stay up then. I guess I change her since she seems so wet and we have had problems with her being too cold at night. She is snug and warm now in a sleep sack. We do take her for a walk each morning so she definitely gets exposed to sunlight. I guess I was mostly wondering how other people handle night feedings, i.e. how long, is extra soothing needed, what to do if they try and play. Its just that she used to fall right back asleep and now she doesn't so I thought maybe I was keeping her up too long. She did ok last night, wasn't asleep but fell asleep after I put her back in the crib so that is good.

I nurse her in the dark and no talking. She has been working on rolling over so maybe that is it. She actually has slept on her tummy the last few nights and it scares me to death!

I didn't mean it to sound like I was complaining, I know we have it pretty easy, I just wanted some tips to help make the night feedings go more smoothly. My dh keeps saying that she is so good, we shouldn't have another cause we will get slammed, LOL!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Lyn, I wonder if its a size thing that lets her sleep longer, she is probably as big as some 10 mth olds, weighing in at just over 19 lbs!