Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Horrible pain, in tears.

Default Re: Horrible pain, in tears.

do you gt a fever with a clogged duct?

Now my approaching problem is that because I have nursed the ouchy side all night i am engorged on the hair-pin side. I have the ability to feed a school bus of babies and now i will be pumping. This is going to create further problems.

no, no fever, at least for me. i am so sorry i can't help you more....
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Sometimes, when we visit family, AJ will not nurse hardly at all. I have lumps in my Right breast and for some reason, that side will become clogged. Hurts like a mo fo!!! I just do exactly what you've done and I've diverted mastitis. I nurse nurse nurse on that side, take a warm shower and masage that area then as soon as I get out, nurse nurse nurse some more. It does hurt and I'm sorry this is happening. With the fever though, I would def call your OBGYN. Explain your symptoms and everything you've done to fix it and more than likely they'll call in a Rx for you. Hope you feel better soon. Fevers suck.

I had mastitis without the breastpain, and cleared it up with lots of rest. I've had blocked ducts and used hot showers and the homeopathic treatment: Phytolacca to clear it up.

I'm so sorry that you're suffering.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

can you tell me what that is?

Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Try doing some breast compressions and pay close attention to your nipples... do you see any white dots that seem to fade when you're not at the end of a compression? I've had that problem a LOT and if I can just get the milk flowing (that white dot is milk) then I would have a gushing stream for a while and feel oh-so-better afterwards.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    can you tell me what that is?
    I just picked some of this up myself, though for me I am taking it for a sore throat. Also suggested by Lyn. It has been working great, though I still think I need to see a doctor (a story not for this thread!!). Here is the makers link to what I have. This is what I bought. You can find locations from their site. I got mine at Akins (a health food chain in the MW), but I'm sure any major health food chain would carry them.

ETA: I am very sad to report that though I did a search for phytolacca and couldn't come up with much, today while searching again I found that it is NOT safe to take during pregnancy. I have only taken it a few times and will not take it again. You can read about it (pokeroot) here.
    Last edited by ChasingPrisms; October 21st, 2007 at 02:49 PM.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I was hopeful that I could make the duration of bf without mastitus, looks like i was wrong.

My fever is over a hundred and climbing,
    Do you still have a fever?

Is it beyond help once there is a fever?
    No. If the symptoms are mild, you can wait up to 24 hours as long as you're steadily improving.

If the symptoms are acute (came on suddenly and you're very ill), or if you aren't improving within 12-24 hours, you need to see a doctor now.

So What i did was go back to sleep after nursing ... My body still aches; feels like the house must be on fire but the thermostat keeps saying 72. But somehow the pain has decreased.
    It's good that you got some sleep. The real key for healing mastitis is REST.

The symptoms are decreasing, so that is a good sign.

Who knows how to get rid of the knot in my breast? massage, reorient baby's chin, compress. Anything I'm missing?
    Usually the plugged area feels like a wedge shaped mass, so you could feel all the way back to where the wedge begins. Once you feel that, latch your baby on. Then, gently, but firmly, press behind the wedge down towards the nipple. If the motion distracts your baby, you can do the same thing in the shower or while dangling your breasts in a basin of warm water. You may express some crusty, crumbley, or even stringy material.

If all else fails, try dangle feeding. This is where you are on all fours above your baby, with your breasts hanging freely from your ribcage. When baby latches on from this position, your milk flow is assisted by gravity and the flow of milk isn't restricted by your position.

Additionally, remember:
    *rest--rest as much as possible
    *eat well--nutrient dense foods will help you heal
    *drink to thirst--if your urine is pale, you're getting enough
    *nurse, nurse, nurse--keep your breasts drained
    *rest--that's right, rest some more. Go to bed and take baby with you!
    *warm compresses before feeding, cool compresses between
    *massage in a circular motion from the back of the breast, towards the nipple
    *ensure baby is latched on well
    *take off your bra and avoid constrictive clothing

do you gt a fever with a clogged duct?
    It is possible.

Now my approaching problem is that because I have nursed the ouchy side all night i am engorged on the hair-pin side. I have the ability to feed a school bus of babies and now i will be pumping. This is going to create further problems.
    Not neccessarily. Just remove enough milk down to baseline level, and maintain from there. Do remember that you want to keep the "ouchy" side drained, but not at the detriment of the other side.

Here's a helpful resource:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html (non-LLL resource)
    And a repeat of the one listed on page one:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html

HTH! Feel better!