Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ready to quit

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Ready to quit

Just throwing some other ideas out there:
    Have you done anything to throw off his routine lately? My 8mo had a nursing strike and major separation anxiety b/c we had visitors and were traveling (or it could have been teething - top 4 teeth). It was horrible and I thought I was going to have a velcro baby for awhile. But, after a couple of days back home, she's nursing as usual.

As far as water, are you feeding him water in a sippy or a cup? Perhaps you could put the expressed milk in the same feeder? Or, use a cup with a straw?
    Or, does your LO eat from anyone else? Perhaps he's more willing to take expressed milk from someone else, but nurse from you (even if it's just at night?).

I also remember reading that some older babies like to immitate. Do you know of any other moms who nurse or little ones who drink from bottles? Perhaps by watching them eat, your LO will try to do the same?

I know it's tough. Hang in there! My LO was very distractible earlier too (but she NEVER took a bottle and only sips very little from the cup) and is getting into everything, but now seems to be enjoying nursing much better (I hope it continues!).

Thank you for all the ideas.. here's my response:

Quote Originally Posted by cmp12345 View Post
    Have you done anything to throw off his routine lately?

Yes, we were away on a 4 day trip last week. But he was ok as far as taking his milk goes. Its only the 2nd day that we were back that the strike started.

As far as water, are you feeding him water in a sippy or a cup? Perhaps you could put the expressed milk in the same feeder? Or, use a cup with a straw?

Yes I did try this (he takes water from both sippy and cup). But nope, didnt fool him

Or, does your LO eat from anyone else? Perhaps he's more willing to take expressed milk from someone else, but nurse from you (even if it's just at night?).

Twice a wk he goes to the nanny who takes care of my sister's children, she normally does a better job at getting him to drink his milk. But yesterday, nope, she too failed.

I also remember reading that some older babies like to immitate. Do you know of any other moms who nurse or little ones who drink from bottles? Perhaps by watching them eat, your LO will try to do the same?

He normally imitates my sister's 3yo son. But yesterday, he too failed to influence him ...

I know it's tough. Hang in there! My LO was very distractible earlier too (but she NEVER took a bottle and only sips very little from the cup) and is getting into everything, but now seems to be enjoying nursing much better (I hope it continues!).

Really? Coz I am still hoping that I can throw out the pump and bottles some day and go back to bfg, but he's been a distractible baby for 6 mths now I dont think that day will ever come..

DS vomited today after having his lunch, his puke was "mucusy". So I took DS to the ped, he said that his mucus (from his cold) had gone to his tummy and is affecting his appetite, this could be the reason for th strike.. question is why hasnt it affected his appetite for solids

Ok so I just want to give an update to whoever that is reading .

DS has been feeling much better since yesterday, and I have been practising the 'no pressure' approach to the bottle/breasts. Yesterday he took only 6oz of milk during the day, which was an improvement. Last night, before putting him down to sleep, I played with him on my bed with my shirt off like I do every night. And to my surprise, he came to me and latched on (!) and he even let me craddle him. Within a few minutes he was fast asleep (with one hand holding my boob!!), but he continued sucking for 10 more minutes (the last time this happened must have been when he was 2mo). And, between 9:30pm to 6:30am, he woke up 6-7 times to feed!

Today he took in 7oz during the day and again, nursed to sleep at 8pm. Im just soo happy!

This whole episode had made me realize that my baby is actually a reverse cycler. And with the input from some of the pps, I have learnt to relax and not pressure him to feed. I think we'll be ok...

Yay! Good work sticking this through and figuring it out. Sometimes tons of trial and error is about all we can do.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Yay!!!! Yeah, I had a friend whose baby was a reverse cycler too. He refused any milk all day while she was at work, until she got home! He didn't take any bottles at all, and he's 2 year old now and doing fine. I hope you can get some sleep though (or learn to sleep during the day).

Yay, good for you. Am soooo pleased, have been following your threads. x
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!