Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiccups?

Default Hiccups?

My 2 week old daughter has the hiccups after almost every feeding, and she gets SO angry...it is not particularly fun at 3am. Is there anyway i can prevent this, or is she too young for gripe water?

Default Re: Hiccups?

Hiccups are normal. They often hiccup a lot in the womb and continue through young infancy. I don't know of any way to stop the hiccups, sorry!

--Rebecca

My baby had hiccups a lot before she was born and still gets them a lot now (she's 12 Mos). They're not as frequent as they used to be, though. I don't know if you can do anything but wait it out. Good luck

You could try gripe water, that is suppose to help w/ hiccups. I've given my 2wk old some. It can't hurt them and I believe it even says for newborns. But i'd try that! Hope it works!

careful.. a little gripe water should be fine, but it is an herb so use caution.

alittle off subject but how much gripe water is too much? DS is constantly fussy over something, at least twice a day, gripe water seems to help but i dont want to be giving it to him so often.

oh gosh I do not know, a couple times of day should be fine, just use your caution, things like this usually are safe, I used it for ds also.

My daughter used to get the hiccups after nearly every feeding too. I found that it I offered her the breast once more for just a little sip that the hiccups would go away. I don't know exactly why this worked, but if I didn't top her off like this the hiccups would continue. Good luck finding a solution.

When my daughter was born I held her in from of me and said "hello", she replied with a hiccup! dd hiccupped a lot when in the first couple of months, but it gradually went away.
    hiccups occur when the diaphragm gets out of sync with the lungs. It can be annoying, but its goes away. taking a very deep breath, holding it and then drinking can help (full lungs push the diaphragm down and swallowing can "reset" the motion), but you cant get a baby to do it.
    All you can do really, is to comfort the baby. Gripe water cant hurt.

My babe gets hiccups everyday, too. I try to burp her again and a lot of times she has a little burp in there. A previous reply said to offer the breast again, and that has worked for me as well. They are typically gone after a few sucks.