Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's wrong with my milk???

Default What's wrong with my milk???

For the first time today I tasted my milk (yes after 10 months of making milk).
    I tried one that was kept in the fridge since yesterday (less than 24hrs), at first it tasted ok, but it had a horrible after taste: it tasted like vomit! Like someone had vomitted in my mouth!

So I threw that one out and got one bottle which has been frozen for 4 days. Left it to thaw for 4 hours, and then tried that too. Again, like vomit! Then I pump a fresh bottle and tasted that, well that one's ok.

What does this mean?? Have I been feeding spoilt milk to my baby? HELP!

Default Re: What's wrong with my milk???

Here is a link on excessive lipase. My milk did the same thing except it tasted like pure dishwater. It was FOUL. Come to find out after I pumped, I had to scald the milk and then freeze it. Worked like a charm. I even accused my DH of not washing the bottles out good after cleaning them. I felt horrible. It's not uncommon. Many women on here have to scald their milk after pumping. HTH

Is there any way of knowing if your milk does this without having to go through this unpleasant intro of milk tasting. Agh!

I've read the same thing in kellymom website. Though I haven't tried it myself. I hope all the frozen milk I have already doesn't go to waste. It already seems like my fresh milk is going down the drain because my daughter hates the bottle.