Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal or is my supply going low?

Default Is this normal or is my supply going low?

Hello,

I started work this monday, three hours a day each day, and I've been pumping about eight oz. 3 from my left and 5 from my right. A month before going back I started pumping once a day to increase my supply for when I'd go back and to have a stash. I was getting 4oz, 2 from each side. But now, I stopped pumping the additional 4oz and have just been doing the necessary 8oz. Now my breasts have been feeling light. While I was pumping the additional 4 oz I would feel engorged in the am and full before a feeding or little pains. Now I've been feeling nothing in the am or before a feeding. Does this mean my supply went dramatically down or that this is the way your supposed to feel when you are producing the right amount?

I've also been pretty sick since monday and have been taking childrens tylenol. Could this be the reason why my supply is low if it is?(Although I did look at that page form kellymom and checked the ingredients)

I have a low milk supply phobia b/c my mom said her milk dried up at two months and now I'm at two months..

Please tell me what you think.

THANKS!

Default Re: Is this normal or is my supply going low?

Anyone?

8 oz is a lot. most women can't get more than 2-4 oz in a pumping... how old is your LO? around 6-8 weeks from what i've read, your breasts regulate to fit the need of your baby... that's why they feel lighter. i'm going through that too. i used to be able to pump 6-8 oz in the AM but that's not the case now... good luck!! i'm hoping someone will post the kellymom links they have about this

With pumping I have always only gotten 2-3 oz at the most. You are one of the lucky ones to get more out. Try pumping more often if you can, that alays increased my supply. Remember your stress level has went up a little returning to work also. Drink plenty of fluid also is all I can suggest.

during the first 2 months, bf is established, I mean your breast will only produce the amount your baby is needing. It´s not like at the begining, when we usually have oversupply and leak all over the place....(thus pumping huge amounts)

After this time, our breast no longer feels engorged, thay feel soft and light, and it´s completely normal...It´s imposible for milk to "dry up", as long as there is a baby nursing frequently.....

If you really want to increase your supply to be able to make a freezer stash, try pumping 10-15 after baby has nursed, try to get as many pumping sessions in, even if they are short, they will stimulate more production....
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

your milk may have "regulated" itself. Mine just did this.. it feels strange because I am use to my breast being full. Esp when I am at work, and they aren't
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Wow you got 8oz in one pumping seccion? Here's a link for you. Oh and yes your supply could be down due to your illness. But once your over it, your supply should pop back up!
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html