Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Disproportionate Breasts

Default Disproportionate Breasts

My baby is now 11 days old, and I'm a first time mom. Is it okay for him to nurse on one breast per feeding (meaning left breast for the first feeding, right breast at the next feeding, and so on)? He always falls asleep after about 25/30 minutes, and he gained back his birth weight within 5 days (9lbs 9oz!!). Am I going to have disproportionate breasts/milk supply?

Default Re: Disproportionate Breasts

That is how I've been feeding my LO from the very beginning and no issues at all

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

This will eventually even itself out on its own...You should always let the LO finish each breast before offering the next...Sounds like your doing everything right! Now that my LO is 5 months old, if I begin to become "disproportionate" I may double or even triple up on feedings on the smaller side! This usually works! But I would not try this yet at 11 days old while your still developing your supply!

it sounds like your doing fine, just remember to start with the other breast on the next feed. that's how my ds started off too. he eventually stayed awake long enough to feed from both.
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Hi JGM,

I can't answer your question about whether 11 days old is too soon to use only one breast per feeding.

However, try not to worry too much about lopsided breasts. I was using only one breast per feeding but got terribly lopsided anyway! I was pretty freaked out, so called a lactation consultant from the hospital (loved our hospital!). With her advice, I was able to even back out in just a couple of days.

Good luck!

Mine are disproportionate, I have a better breast (faster/fuller/bigger) even when both are being emptied every time. I think it happens a lot. I alternate babies but tend to put Claire (a.k.a. the pukinator) on the slower breast because then she doesn't spit up as much. Maybe one breast sometimes has more milk ducts?

James is 5 months old and I don't think he's ever 'double boobed' a meal and I'm no more lopsided than I was before he was born

My only problem and I'm sure other Moms will relate, is working out which side I fed him on last when I forget to remember...if you know what I mean. Then I have a bit of head scratching and boobie groping to try and work it out.

Good Luck!!

I laughed out loud at your boobie groping comment. I grope at work to try to figure out when I want to time my breaks and lunch. Shoot I'm having let down right now just thinking about it.