Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When do the poopies slow down?

Default When do the poopies slow down?

My DD will be 4 weeks on Tuesday. Since my milk has come in, she has been having poopy diapers nearly after every feeding. For the past couple days, it seems that she is having less dirty diapers despite eating more than ever. She still has 3-5 dirty diapers a day, but before it was upwards of 10 on some days. It also seems when she does go that it is huge! I was just wondering if 4 weeks is too young for the dirty diapers to taper off.

Muchas gracias!
    Jen
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Default Re: When do the poopies slow down?

The poopyness doesnt really stop. because the breastmilk is so easily digested it seems to always be runny. My daughter is on baby foods ( green beans, peas etc. ) and it has made it a little chunky, but not really any better runny wise. i do say they stink now ! They never did before. it always smelled vinegery and sweet. Also , in the beginning she would go everytime i nursed her, then it became more like everyother time i nursed her. So all in all, adding foods when she's ready will make it a little chunky, but for stopping i doubt it. hope that helps/ and made sense.
    Amanda

I guess I was wondering when the frequency of bowel movements slow down. I have read it's common for them to become infrequent around six weeks. But has anyone had a baby who had fewer stools around 4 weeks? I was just concerned that this was a little early. But she is eating no different than before. If anything, she's eating more. Thanks!!

Still breastfeeding !

and !

I believe my DS was going that much when he was 4 weeks, but I just can't remember! But I'm sure it is normal, every LO is different. And as long as they are still runny it's fine, and that your LO is having enough wet diapers, then everything is aokay.

Thanks! I just wanted to know that another healthy little baby was (or had been) doing the same! She always had a wet diaper when I change her and when she does poop, it's frequently very big, so hopefully she's just making the transition to going less frequently. Thanks again!

Still breastfeeding !

and !

It is very common for Breastfed childrens bowel movements to slow between 6&8 weeks when their digestive tract matures. And actually you may see a slow down that will actually cause you concern. However, you don't need to be concerned AT ALL. When the digestive tract matures, you will often not even get one poop a day. Sometimes breastfed babies will go as long as 7-10 days without pooping. This is all NORMAL! It is NOT constipation and should NOT concern you. FTR poop that is of the constipated variety (which you will probably see at some point with the introduction of solids) is hard dark pellets. What you will see in your child when the "holding it" for days starts to occur is that the color and consistency will change from the seedy mustard color to the color and consistency of Peanut butter. Do NOT worry. Do not think you have to use a suppository. Your child is not in pain and while the gas will be stinkier, eventually after days of anticipation, you will get a huge amount poop that will not disappoint! Good luck!

Way too lazy for formula