Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LO loves pacifier... can breast become pacifier?

Default LO loves pacifier... can breast become pacifier?

i half-heartedly tried to re-lactate for a couple of months and finally gave up when LO turned 6 mos... long story. i was also struggling with mild to moderate PPD.

anyway... my LO is sooooo addicted to his pacifier that he wakes up like every 30 minutes throughout the entire night crying for it. i keep around 6 pacifiers in one corner of his crib for the night-long ordeal. so, out of sheer desperation for sleep, i wondered... has anyone ever been able to transition a baby from a pacifier over to the breast for comfort only? i think i might get more sleep that way... or maybe not? i don't know. i'm just desperate and soooo sleep deprived at this point.

i would love it if it resulted in the return of some milk as well

thoughts? experiences?

Default Re: LO loves pacifier... can breast become pacifier?

Go for it! If it works it would be great for both of you!

It's worth a shot! Go for it.

Yep., I would try it.

ok... tonight will be the trial run.

i'm still hoping someone who's had success with this will post and give me some encouragement...

or even someone who knows of someone...

sorry to ramble... i haven't slept a full night in 7 months but i'm sure some of you can relate

thanks... momagain

Yep! Did it two weeks ago. The pacifier is completely gone. When my son finishes his bottle, he turns his body to momma and comfort sucks.

The key? Persist and don't take it personally when lo screams. You might even work on it during the day or some other non-stressful time for you.

But whatever you do, remember that babies need about 3-4 days to change a habit. DON'T give up before you reach that 4th day.

Now... if only I can take my own advice and ditch the bottle hee-hee

I do want to warn you, he will likely bite out of frustration. I used lots of pacing and patting and singing. When he was calmer, I would try again with the breast.

I have heard of moms taking babies to chiropractors when they have high suck needs. I really don't know what I am talking about, but after the adjustments, the baby did not need to suck so persistently.

However, if you are trying to bring in milk, you need a lot of stimulation. Listen, three weeks ago I had NO milk. (Well, I had one little tiny drop of moisture when I pumped.) Now I have about 4-6 oz each day. That is not a full supply, but it is HUGE compared to nothing. Nightime is the best time to increase milk.

I am really looking forward to hearing about your progress!

thanks relactating! you are doing just awesome. i'm so envious!

LO just had his first waking and i pulled him out of his crib and laid down with him on my bed. when i tried to give him my breast he clamped his lips shut. i couldn't help but laugh. i just thought to myself "i can't believe i'm this desperate for some sleep". then he started squirming and trying to pull away from me. he's always slept (if you can call it sleeping when it's in 30 minute increments) in his crib which i'm sure most people (not nursing moms) would say is so great. anyway, he didn't calm down until i gave him his pacifier and put him in his crib.

i'm just not sure i have what it takes to persevere as so many of you all do. i am truly amazed at the dedication i've seen on this board.

Yeah, a great start! I know the tears and lack of interest on baby's part don't feel like it, but it is an introduction. Everytime baby thinks of a pacifier, first offer the breast. Don't think of the big picture. Just think about this morning.

I actually weaned my son off the pacifier completely before he ever took the breast. There were times I just held my son who was sleeping with my nipple at his lips. I figured that he was getting used to the sensations of my breast: smells, feeling, texture, taste. I felt almost silly and desperate doing it. BUT IT REALLY DID WORK. He now roots for the breast after he takes his bottle.

Have you read Dr. Sears' The Disapline Book? It is NOT about laying down the law with your baby. Rather gentle teaching and learning between parents and babies. He talks about the "high needs baby." It was a life saving read for me with my oldest son.

Don't be afraid to "give to much" to your little boy. You will not spoil him. He needs you to sleep. He will not be in bed with you forever, but maybe a few years. (And not even all the time in the few years). It is a VERY good thing when you both get more sleep.

I am hoping that you will join me in relactating, but that is of course up to you! There is a LLLLI sleep forum, too. You might see if anyone has more to share there.

With my oldest I was so tired I found myself driving on the wrong side of the road. That was when I brought him to bed with me.

Quote Originally Posted by relactatingmomforthelord View Post
    There were times I just held my son who was sleeping with my nipple at his lips. I figured that he was getting used to the sensations of my breast: smells, feeling, texture, taste. I felt almost silly and desperate doing it. BUT IT REALLY DID WORK. He now roots for the breast after he takes his bottle.
    How long did this take?

I am not relactating, but I am exclusivly pumping. My baby used to refuse my breast and in the last month she has successfully nursed 5 times, but she still screams when I try to put my nipple in her mouth. She's fine sitting at my breast and will even play with my nipple the front of her mouth, but as soon as I try to latch her she freaks out. I am never sure if I should just let her play, or if I should encourage her to latch on.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth