Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please Help, Baby hasnt eatin

Default Please Help, Baby hasnt eatin

Hi,
    I just had my son 2 days ago. We had a bit of a rough start with nursing but things smoothed out quickly and he was doing very well.
    We came home today and the last time he had nursed was about 6:30 this morning. He keeps latching on but either falling asleep after a few sucks or starts screaming and pushing me out. I am nervous because he has jaundice and I know he needs to eat.
    They of course stressed at the hospital he must eat every 2.5 hrs.. and its obviously been very well past that.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

Default Re: Please Help, Baby hasnt eatin

Congratulations on your LO. I'm so sorry that you are having trouble. I've attached a link to Kellymom for you. It might help to examine your latch and try to reposition the baby.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Can you get in contact with a Lactation Consultant? Your hospital may have one on staff.

Good luck!

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Are you engorged? Is your baby having difficulty latching on? Prior to this morning, was your baby able to latch and nurse effectively?

Did you have a difficult birth?

Here's some information that might help until you're able to tell us more:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/engorgement.html

Remember: Rule #1 (ALWAYS!) is feed the baby. If your baby won't nurse, we have to assume that your baby can't nurse. We just don't know why yet. In the meanwhile, it's important to get milk into him somehow. A hungry newborn goes downhill fast. My best suggestion is pump or hand express, then supplement via spoon or cup (to avoid nipple confusion in an already frustrated baby). Here's a video that shows how to hand express and feed colostrum via spoon:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html

My LO now 5 months also had jaundice, so yes, it is important to feed as much as possible right now. I would contact a lactation consultant...also, babies with very high bilirubin levels will become lethargic and may be too sleepy to eat. My LO bilirubin was very high. jumped from 13 to 23.5 overnight! If this continues, you may want to contact the doctor who will probably suggest some phototherapy or a biliblanket! Please let me know

My dd was also super, super sleepy the first 1.5 weeks, even though she was not jaundiced. It took sometimes up to an hour to wake her. I always stripped off her clothes, massaged her, sometimes put a cold washcloth on her head to wake her. Also, changing her diaper usually made her mad enough to wake up a little. Then while she was nursing, I would continually try to stimulate her to stay away: tickling her feet, tickling her chin and compressing my breast to keep the flow of milk going, as well as talking up a storm to her. I also pumped to keep up my supply and then tried to give as much as I could back to her through a syringe snuck in to the side of her mouth while I was nursing. Also, I would try staying as close to baby as possible so you can pick up on his hunger cues and offer the breast when that happens.

Also, when my milk came in, I became engorged and my dd refused my left breast (she prefers the right side as it is) for about a day, during which time I nursed on the right and pumped on the left (until a lactation consultant could get to my house). I was very, very nervous to say the least, so I understand what you are going through. I would call the hospital immediately and speak with a lactation consultant. Also, your local LLL leader should be able to help you. There are people who are willing to come to your home to help you. Even if there is a fee, it's well worth it (the best money I ever spent).

Sorry I can't offer more help. I'm new to this, but I understand what you are going through and how scary it is. Hang in there and get some professional assistance as quick as you can.

Jen
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Thank you ladies for your responses. I am finally able to take the time out to post an update.
    I contacted the nursery at my hospital because there was no one available at the lactation help line.
    Long story short a very patient nurse stayed with us on the phone twice to help us out.
    What ended up working for us, in case this can come in handy for someone in the future was this.
    Nipple shield with lanisoh to stick to my nipple and then with a dropper a shot of formula to fill the chamber. He immediatly latched on and got down to business. That was all it took and just that 1 time and he is now 1 week 1 day old and besides his impatience before my milk lets down we are doing fantastic!!!
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

I'm glad things are going beter.
    I was wondering how you were getting along.
    Don't be afraid to call your local leader she's around to help

Yea!