Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush

Default Thrush

My son is almost 5 weeks old. I was given antibiotics during the birth. At 3 weeks, the pediatrician found that he had thrush (only on the tongue) and prescribed nyastatin ointment for him. He said to give it only for 1 week. I did & it seemed like it had gone away for the following week but then came back. Yesterday I started the nystatin again for him & my OB prescribed nystatin cream for my nipples. He latches on for half a minute and then pulls away & the process continues throughout the feeding. He still has the same amount of dirty diapers but I can feel that he is getting less milk. I am feeling really frustrated. I know it will take some time for this to clear but should I also be worried about my milk supply?

Default Re: Thrush

Don't worry about anything except getting rid of the thrush. It's nasty stuff.

how are you fealing? nipples and breast?
    ITs normal for your milk supply to sort of even out at 5-8 weeks and you don't leak so much or feal so full..

Good point andrea! That didn't even cross my mind.

I was "traumatized" by thrush so I was just remembering how overwhelming and painful it was.

Thrush alone is unlikely to affect milk supply, however, reduced nursing or supplementation (because of pain from thrush) WILL cause reduced milk supply.

Low milk supply can be reversed. This is why I say only worry about the thrush. One problem at a time, KIWM?

I'm feeling really sore with a lot of burning but more than anything, just frustrated for him. I'll keep at it with the medication. Thanks

there a bunch of info on kelly moms with stuff to try..
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/index.html

this is from that link:many moms have good luck with this:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/c-candida_protocol.html