Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing a bottle and supply issue

Unhappy Introducing a bottle and supply issue

After two wonderful months of staying home I went back to work. It's been a week now and there's been a couple of problems. Besides my milk supply not being established when I came back to work, my daughter hates the bottle. Though when she was one month old I had to separate from her for a few hours and she took the bottle easily. What's weird is the very first night I went back to work my MIL said she drank without a problem and had a good night. She said to keep offering my dd a bottle so she will get used to it. But I know I must nurse her when I'm home to keep my supply up. So I nursed and nursed her when I came home. But the next night wasn't so successful. It's been a week now and she hasn't been eating enough. I can tell by the amount and weight of her wet diapers. What troubled me in the morning was the color of her urine in the diaper. I can actually see it was dark yellow. So I nursed her as much as she wanted. My MIL and husband tried different bottles, positions, mostly all the tricks we can think of (even before I started to work). I even tried the cradle hold and rocking her. She feel asleep and I slipped the bottle in her mouth. She only sucked on it twice. Then after a while she gave such a pitiful cry that I gave in and nursed her.

And as for my supply I pump about every 3-4 hours at work and get only 3 ounces (after two let downs). And she doesn't even drink the little amount that I pump! The first supply issue was at three weeks after I left myself engorged the whole day because I didn't pump in the morning and my dd couldn't finish my milk (pump was at home). Since then it's been a rollercoaster effect on my supply as I try to increase it. My period even came at 4 weeks but it seemed like it helped with my supply instead. Second period may be coming soon. I do notice when I overexert myself my supply goes down. That's exactly what I did the day I had to go back to work and didn't sleep for 24hrs. In addition because I work nights I have a difficult time increasing my supply. Normally it goes up after several days. But I haven't felt a full breast in probably 1 1/2 to 2 weeks now. Even one time when I fell asleep too long and let 4-5 hours pass by. My breast still feel very soft.

In short I want my baby to be healthy and just eat when I'm not home. Either from a bottle, cup, spoon, syringe or any other form of feeding. I can't even say I want to give up because all she wants is the breast. So I have to continue breastfeeding. All this is so frustrating as much as it's tiresome to feed often after a long nights work. I've already emailed a LLL and hoping to get a response soon. Any suggestions or responses is appreciated!

Default Re: Introducing a bottle and supply issue

Quote Originally Posted by Rosymom View Post
    Besides my milk supply not being established when I came back to work, my daughter hates the bottle. Though when she was one month old I had to separate from her for a few hours and she took the bottle easily. What's weird is the very first night I went back to work my MIL said she drank without a problem and had a good night. She said to keep offering my dd a bottle so she will get used to it. But I know I must nurse her when I'm home to keep my supply up. So I nursed and nursed her when I came home.
    Right! Nurse, nurse, nurse when you're together.

But the next night wasn't so successful. It's been a week now and she hasn't been eating enough. I can tell by the amount and weight of her wet diapers. What troubled me in the morning was the color of her urine in the diaper. I can actually see it was dark yellow. So I nursed her as much as she wanted. My MIL and husband tried different bottles, positions, mostly all the tricks we can think of (even before I started to work). I even tried the cradle hold and rocking her. She feel asleep and I slipped the bottle in her mouth. She only sucked on it twice. Then after a while she gave such a pitiful cry that I gave in and nursed her.

And as for my supply I pump about every 3-4 hours at work and get only 3 ounces (after two let downs).
    What type of pump are you using? Is it comfortable?

Here's some info an maximizing milk output with a pump:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

nd she doesn't even drink the little amount that I pump!
    Some babies "reverse cycle" and nurse more when mom is home, and sleep more and eat less while mom is away. Does that sound like what may be happening with your baby?

The first supply issue was at three weeks after I left myself engorged the whole day because I didn't pump in the morning and my dd couldn't finish my milk (pump was at home). Since then it's been a rollercoaster effect on my supply as I try to increase it. My period even came at 4 weeks but it seemed like it helped with my supply instead. Second period may be coming soon. I do notice when I overexert myself my supply goes down. That's exactly what I did the day I had to go back to work and didn't sleep for 24hrs. In addition because I work nights I have a difficult time increasing my supply. Normally it goes up after several days. But I haven't felt a full breast in probably 1 1/2 to 2 weeks now. Even one time when I fell asleep too long and let 4-5 hours pass by. My breast still feel very soft.
    Breast softness isn't really an indicator of overall production. Most mothers notice their breasts are softer after the first few weeks.

If you're concerned about overall production, it's important to empty the breasts as frequently as possible. Nurse as often as baby LOOKS at you. Seriously! And pump/hand express as frequently as you can when you are away from her.

In short I want my baby to be healthy and just eat when I'm not home. Either from a bottle, cup, spoon, syringe or any other form of feeding. I can't even say I want to give up because all she wants is the breast. So I have to continue breastfeeding. All this is so frustrating as much as it's tiresome to feed often after a long nights work. I've already emailed a LLL and hoping to get a response soon. Any suggestions or responses is appreciated!

It may just be that your baby wants to nurse more when you're home. That's normal, and common.
    http://www.workandpump.com/reversecycling.htm

Here's some great info about offering the bottle:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bottle.html

And some info about alternative feeding methods:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

HTH!