Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: does anyone else have a baby that does this?

Default does anyone else have a baby that does this?

ellie will nurse for maybe 5-10 minutes MAX... i can't get her to eat any longer. it's not like she falls asleep at the breast, it's just that she's done in about this timespan and seems to get pissed off when i try to have her eat longer. any suggestions, thoughts?

she's gaining weight and has the right diaper output... but is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY she's actually getting enough in this short of time? she eats every 1-3 hours (usually closer to 1 - 1.5)

Default Re: does anyone else have a baby that does this?

If she is thriving and not fussing, she very well may have become efficient at getting what she needs. It sounds like she is eating very regularly.

Yes. I thought the same thing when my DD went from nursing for an hour about every 2 hours, to just 5 mins. every 2 hours. I was sure that something was wrong. Now she is a thriving 10 month old and nurses 5-10 mins. about every 3-4 hours. They can just learn to be very efficient

i guess i just get tripped up by the fact that she eats so fast, and i feel that if she'd eat longer, she'd eat less frequently... but i suppose it's all normal. my first baby was bf for all of a few days and my supply never fully came in... so this is all new to me.

i guess i just don't see how 3-5 minuts is even enough to get an ounce or so... cuz pumping takes so much more effort... but then again, i guess i shouldn't compare her eating with pumping...

thank you !!

Sounds to me that you have a very efficient nurser! Congrats! She's a fast learner! Your lucky a baby so young is so fast.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!