Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Starting BF my micro-preemie

Default Just Starting BF my micro-preemie

My little Penga was born at 25 weeks. Her birth weight is 1 lb and 10 oz. Now Penga is 34 1/2 weeks (I've been pumping for more than 2 months so far) and weighs about 3 lb 3 oz. Penga still receives oxygen through nasal cannula and my BM through feeding tube at intervals. Both my hubby and I kangaroo her every day. My older dauther Sydney also has lots of love and supports for her little sis.

This past week, Penga licked and suckled my BM during a couple of Kangaroo sessions. Two days ago, she also opened her mouth wide and put my entire nipple into her little mouth.. then she gave me a couple of cute sucks!!!! I was ecstatic!

She has been very sleepy since then. I plan to spend more time Kangarooing her this weekend so she has enough sleep time AND alert awakening time.

I will ask many questions in the near future, I know. I just wanted to introduce myself and Penga to you all

Default Re: Just Starting BF my micro-preemie

's mama! It sounds like your little one is thriving on your BM! Way to go!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I am so happy for you and your little girl. Through the birth of my daughter I have been blessed to know so many preemies and their families. The road ahead is difficult but you are in for some amazing milestones. Here is a fom one preemie family to another

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

You're all doing so well! Congratulations to you all on her arrival and on her first steps at BFing.

My LO was not premature but very tiny at birth for a fullterm baby - 4 lbs 4 oz. She was in the NICU for 10 days and many of her neighbors were preemies. Trust me - she didn't look that much bigger than they were! Her suck was too weak for BFing but she got there eventually - it's so beautiful to watch these little babies gain in strength. And one thing is for sure - the little babies are tough! They are fighters!

Go baby, go!!

Thank you everyone for warm welcome! Penga really started to root for my breast this past week. Now every Kangaroo session is really a pre-breastfeeding practice. Go Penga, Go

That is FABULOUS!!! Way to go!!!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

yeah way to go I'm glad your in a supportive place...
    Don't forget to look up your local leader she can help!

I am so happy for you and Penga... my baby was a premie she wieght 2lb 9oz no she is 12 lb.... I am so excited for you that is a huge milestone for your little one keep up possitive ... I remember Kangooroing my baby when she looked for my nipple and try to latchon I was so so trhilled... Enjoy all these moments cause they fly.... take lots of picture I regreat I didnt take so many.... enjoy and give lots of love to your baby.....

lucky baby to have such a loving family. Im glad that she is doing good.