Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help -long

Default I need help -long

First a little background, i a 22 yr old mother of 2, First is a 28 month old boy and now my 6 wk old girl, i did not breastfeed my son not from lack of want but got off to a bad start and didnt have enough information and didnt know how to get help so we formula fed note: i did try bfing with my first never could get my milk supply in even with pumping and constant trying to latch even though we were supplementing formula, anyways onto my girl,we started in the hospital with problems, couldnt get her to latch on at all for the first 6-8 hrs, when she did finally i couldnt get her off, sounds funny but she would be there nursing forever and just wouldnt be satisfied, she would be to upset to continue nursing and would just cry,she wouldnt wait for more than 20 -30 mins between trying to nurse, i didnt know what to do and after going through nurse after nurse and lc after lc i decided to give formula again but not untill after trying to bf first. When she was 7 days old i still didnt believe my milk had come in (problem i had with my first as well)so we went to rent a hospital grade pump got the pump and 2 consults with a lc there, btw milk hadnt come in yet, so we pumped all weekend and seen the lc 3 days later tried nursing and yay got her latched on no problems with her latch we wieghed her nursed then weighed her and only .5 oz so we gave it a week and tried again and still only .5 oz at this point i was able to pump about 2 oz every 2 hrs so there was milk just baby not able to get it.. so now thats where i am, i pump everyday all day at least every 3 hrs more often if i can, i mostly feed her from a bottle (breastfeeding friendly nipple) she has no problems latching on but will nurse one session just fine go to sleep 2 hrs later nurse again but come off sooner and seemingly less satisfied fall asleep 45min to an hour and want to eat again but at this point latches on and then gets very frustrated very quick, i dont know if its my supply? i can pump plenty but i dont know if she is just emptying my breasts better than the pump and then she does it again and then again and i just cant keep up or if she just cant get enough milk when she nurses and just finally gets way to frustrated to keep trying, please help!!

Default Re: I need help -long

Okay I am too tired at this point to make a proper response. But congrats on your daughter! And I am so glad you are working hard at bf this time around. My advice to you would be to try to nurse her often. She will make your supply go up if it is low right now. She gets milk much better out of you then the pump ever will. Maybe she is going through a growth spurt and thats why she doesn't seem satisfied? Which means nurse her! Cause that will be the way to get up your supply to where she needs it to be. If you can, which I know will be hard with your older son, but stay in bed for a day or 2 with your DD and just nurse. Nurse on demand, and just plain nurse her all day. That will defiently build up your supply quicker. She could also have been nursing for so long in the hospital because she was comfort sucking.

Bottom line just nurse her! Try try and try again. Annnd

ulkie i wish it was just a growth spurt but this is how she has been since we started, unless growth spurts last that long? she is strictly on ebm no formula since the first week and gaining weight very well she is now 11lb from 8lb 9 oz at birth thanks for the support

I just wrote a nice long reply and was searching for a particular website to put in here and my internet shut down!!! So, let me see if I can remember what I wrote!! Ok, first of all a big to you!! I'm sorry you are having issues, but also BIG KUDOS for sticking with it and giving your precious baby girl THE VERY BEST START IN LIFE!!!

DS2 had a problem latching in the hospital...what helped most for me was skin-to-skin contact. Basically, undress your lo down to her diaper and put her against your bare chest. Let her lay there, smell, sniff, root, lick whatever she wants to do. She will instinctively know what to do. Also, be sure to watch for her feeding cues. Whenever she is "eating" her hands, sticking her tongue out or moving her head back and forth, she is telling you, "I'm hungry and ready to eat!" So, with the bottle, the milk flows much more quickly than the breast. She actually has to work for the milk with the breast. So, she may be getting frustrated at the breast because it is not coming out quickly enough for her. You can always use a warm compress just before latching her on to promote your letdown and get the milk flowing...Also, you may want to consider breast compressions to keep her interested in the feed...see link below. Whatever you do, be sure to attempt directly feeding her at the breast first before offering the bottle. Good Luck, Hang in there and please know that we are here for you! These forums are LIFESAVERS!!

www.thebirthden.com

Go to "breastfeeding"
    Scroll down to "compression"
    HTH!!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

this is a little off my main problem but any mothers out there with tips on how to take care of your other children while trying to learn to bf ? my 2 yr old is a very active child and i wouldnt say high needs but constantly needs to be engaged to keep him out of trouble (can i say terrible twos)he loves his new sister but constantly wants things while im trying to bf, which makes some sessions much more stressful than they would be. Any suggestions?

thank you for your suggestions tippee , we are not having problems latching on she just seems to lose intrest? well maybe thats not the best way to explain it, more like just gets to frustrated. either that or she is falling asleep and i cant keep her awake, thats how night feedings go she eats for about 15 mins then is out and i cant wake her enough to even try to get her to eat but she seems very content, maybe my letdowns occur better at night? or maybe i just dont have someone else screaming for his juice so i can relax

I know it's going to seem SUPER HARD right now, but what about sitting on the floor with DS and playing a game while nursing or trying to involve him in some way. ie: Can you please give mommy the blankie for little sister? What a great big brother you are!!" Again, with her getting frustrated and falling asleep, did you watch the video on breast compression?
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

my computer is acting like it cant load that page, is compression the same as massage? i have been massaging my breasts while she nurses but while im doing that she doesnt seem any more awake she does seem to finish hat side faster though, my son well he is a trip he loves to help would change her diaper if id let him(he has tried) the problem comes with the long sessions, he needs a new diaper( he get very aggravated with a dirty diaper) while we are trying to potty train he hasnt gotten that down but always lets me know after the fact or he wants juice or hes hungry or the list goes on , i think he just gets upset that i have to spend so much time sitting with her, as the distractions only last so long, i would love to find an affordable wrap or sling so i can move about while she nurses but since i am no longer working our budget is very tight . thank you so much for your support. This forum is a wonderful help i have been able to sit here much of the afternoon just nursing and reading, all the support and advice here is so encouraging we have gone all day with no bottles of ebm only nursing though she has been pretty well attached to me since around 7 pm she has taken a few breaks of about 10 15 mins each and is sleeping on and off she hasnt gotten completely frustrated, i am worried though,i have fought so hard to get the supply i have if she is not emptying my breasts well and i continue this way i dont want my supply to go down again. i dont want to pump and give her ebm either as she wouldnt be able to nurse then ..... any suggestions? sorry so long, i have been a shut in for the last 10 wks or so ... i need adult conversation!!

I know how it is to be shut in and have no adult conversation! This place helps cure me of that! I don't have any advice for you about your older child because well, I only have one child so far. Yeah she probably nurses better at night because she is sleepy, and you aren't as stressed out as you are during the day. It will get better with nursing though, and it'll take a shorter amount of time eventually. My computer made that webpage look all funny cause I tried to look at it for you. Lemme see if I can find a good site for you. http://www.kellymom.com/newman/27expressing_milk.html Try that one. I think it might help a little bit.

And also remember if you can always call your Local LL Leader and get help that way as well.

P.S. I'm jealous that you got a Welsh guy. :P

thanks that page did load for me, ill try that the next time she is ready to nurse, which shouldnt be long as she is starting to wake up right now i my welsh guy, he is the best, they are hard to come by though i had to go 3000 miles for mine, then i dragged him back here to texas, im a sucker for an accent and i think the welsh one is the best ive heard yet. hmmm i just realized its almost 7am, so much for getting extra rest. Yes you can only talk to your husband so much, then i want to talk to someone else. i found myself almost dragging my sister to my house the other day and then trying to stuff her with food to keep her here. My friends dont really understand as they dont have kids yet, i guess thats the downfall of me wanting kids while i was still so young i love being a mommy though and if im gonna have the 7 or 8 kids ive always wanted gotta get started early