Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: slimy food solutions

Default slimy food solutions

Decided I am done with spoon feeding my 7 1/2 month twins. We have no trouble with allergies in my family and so I just started putting small amounts of what the rest of the family eats on their trays. A little gets in, but they seem to be enjoying themselves. They don't have the pincer grasp down so I have been giving them larger pieces of things like bananas, apples, pears, peaches, cooked carrots and potatoes. Problem is that they get so slimy and slippery once they start chewing on them that they can't hold on to them anymore, they drop them and scream out of frustration. Anyone come up with a solution to this? Is there anything I can coat them in to give the babies a good grip. For example, bread crumbs, dry oatmeal, etc. Or should I just cut them up into tiny pieces so the babies can develop their pincer grasps quicker?

Default Re: slimy food solutions

I crush Os cereal and roll in that. Makes it much easier to pick up for my little one.
    Good luck!

I offer the slimy foods with puffed millet. It sticks to the slimies and makes it easier to grab.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Woo-hoo! Another twin mom dropping the spoons! I hate it, too. So very tedious.

I had some pureed baby food that someone gave me - pears, peas and the like. To use it up, I cubed whole-wheat bread and mixed it with the purees. (I know that wheat is a common allergen, though, so you'd want to be careful with that.)

Someone, I think, already mentioned oatmeal. I cook the oatmeal in water (the same stuff I buy for my family, not the baby stuff) and mix fruit, like peaches or bananas.

Grated cheese is easy to pick up, too.

Good luck!

I read in the "Super Baby Food" book that coating slimy foods in wheat germ (again, caution if any wheat allergies) makes it easier to pick up and not slip around in the back of the mouth. I have yet to try it, though, because my little one is not quite yet at the self-feeding stage.

Eve