Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussing and supply diminishing...

Default Fussing and supply diminishing...

My 8 week old has been crying....make that SCREAMING...a lot today. Very unlike her. My breasts feel very soft all of a sudden and I Am so worried! She is so fussy and after ruling everything else out, I am really thinking that she is hungry! She fusses and pulls off the breast because I think my supply had gone down (don't know why). What should I do? I have a Pump In Style but can't get anything at the moment...just an ounce because I've been trying to feed her (although she is not getting satisfied).

Smile Re: Fussing and supply diminishing...

You can not tell how full your breast are by felling them, with baby #2 after the 1st couple of weeks my breast stayed soft and we had oversupply issues!!

She is around the age for colic to start--plus she is hitting a growth spurt

nurse on demand but don't force her and RELAX if you tense up, so will she.

If you are really worried about supply--go to baby's doc or your local health department and weigh baby--nurse her and weigh her again--you'll see the scale change and know your LO is getting plenty -- it will ease your mind and most health departments and docs will do this for free

You're doing great mama!!!

Smile Re: Fussing and supply diminishing...

Oh and just because you can't pump it out--doesn't mean baby can't get it--baby's d a MUCH better job than ANY man made pump!

Default Re: Fussing and supply diminishing...

Can't help you tell for sure if your supply is dipping, but we just recently had a low supply issue for a few days. I nursed, nursed, nursed, as much as she would let me. Drank lots of water. Ate lots of oatmeal. After a few days, we were back to normal. Can you see a LC or LLL leader for tips or help diagnosing the problem?
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Thanks! Hopefully, things are fine. I just can't figure out why she has cried so much today. Maybe it is a growth spurt and my milk supply just needs to catch up with what she is taking in. My breasts have definitely felt softer this time around then when I had my first. This time around, I am not leaking or getting super ful or engorged. I know this isn't a problem but it does make me wonder. She has gained weight beautifully. She goes for her 2 month check on Tuesday and she is getting so chubby now. Usually when I pump, I get 4-5 ounces so getting barely an ounce today really sent me in a panic. It might have been because she had already eaten and there wasn't much left- not sure. I have Fenugreek. Maybe I will try that and I know I could drink more water (I always struggle with that). Thanks

Sounds like your supply has regulated to what she is actually eating. So if you are trying to pump after she eats you may not get much. And as PP said, you cant pump out a lot of whats in there.
    For a few days I thought my supply decreased too. But a good trick to see if there is anything in there is to try and hand express a little. If you can hand express some, then there is definately more in there.

She could be fussy at the breast for many reasons. Have you tried switching sides when she gets fussy?

Micah Mateo 10 months old
    And my angel Tyler born and passed 3/3/06