Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 months old and still eats every two hours

Red face 3 months old and still eats every two hours

I pump and feed by bottle and have since my son was one week old. He was three weeks early but very healthy. He has since grown like a weed, he doubled his weight by 10 weeks. He was 6lbs14oz at birth, he is now 16lbs. His length was 19.5 and is now 24.5.

Okay so is it normal for him to be eating every two hours, even thru the night? He will eat 2-4 ounces at each feeding. This seems like too much according to everything I've read, but he's grown so much so fast I don't want to try and take feedings away from him (he gets very upset if not fed). I don't want to take away the calories if he needs them to continue his non stop growth spurt.

Should I just hang in there a little while longer and see if he slows down on his own? Anyone else have an eating machine?

Thanks

First time mom

Default Re: 3 months old and still eats every two hours

I think its pretty normal at that age and as they get older some babies will always be frequent eaters while others will space thing out.

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

Babies don't get as much satisfaction sucking from the bottle as they do from the breast, it could be that part of it is the frequent need to suck and not necessarily eat. Sounds like your milk supply is good, can you get him back onto the breast so you don't have to pump and bottle feed? So much easier for you and maybe it will solve your problem too. A LC could help you with that.
    My lo is also at the top of the growth charts and my ped said, "You can stop supplementing with formula now". I said, "She's never had a drop of formula in her life!"
    Also - there are two different growth charts, one for formula fed babies and another for breastfed babies, which one is your ped using?
    Feeding every 2-3 hours sounds normal to me.

My DS is almost 6 months and he still feeds every 2-3 hours! Seems totally normal to me, and nothing to worry about!

DS nursed every 2 hrs around the clock until he was 14 mos old. I chalked up his frequent need to nurse on my small storage capacity and his need for comfort nursing. Each baby spaces feedings at their own rate.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

My LO will be 3 months tomorrow, she still nurses every 1-3 hours. Some space their feedings out eventually, and some do not. We all just learn to go with whatever baby wants.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

My baby is 3 1/2 months old and still nurses every 2 hours around the clock. Now a days he's too sleepy or just satisfied with one breast at night so my other side gets so engorged! Even when I try to feed him the other side, he just turns his head away and falls asleep. You would think that if he eats both sides he'll need to nurse less often... sigh.
    I think some babies are just snackers or just want to be close to mommy day and night. Tough on mommies... but we love them so much what can we do?

i have a 2 month old who was eating every 2 hours at night. so i found that it helps to keep her awake for a few hours in the evening so that by the time she goes to sleep she sleeps better and goes for longer stretches between feedings at night. i do still feed her every 2 hours in the day though. and she is growing and gaining wieght just fine the dr even said shes gaining kinda fast. so you wont be starving your baby or anything if you do this. just make sure to feed right before you put ur baby down for bed

Hi, my baby still nurses every 2 hours and is 8 months old.....every baby has it`s own rhyhtm...I dont mind at all.....

I dont think keeping awake such a small baby will make him sleep longer at night, It has been proven that a baby who is overtired will wake up more during the night, plus a 2-3 month old baby needs like 16 hours of sleep in 24 hours and at least 3 naps during the day, a small baby should not be awake for more than 2 hours, so at signs of being sleepy, they should sleep.....
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

Wow, feeding expressed breast milk by bottle is quite a challenge! How great that you want to give your baby the very best food!

Maybe you could tell us about why you express and feed by bottle? It would really cut down on your work load if you could get him to eat from the source.

My 11-month-old twins nurse about 8-10 times a day, more when they're sick. This includes a couple of night feedings each, typically. (Though one is doing away with night feedings, it seems.)

One of the reasons I love nursing is because it's so convenient to nurse whenever they want it.

Good luck!