Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk not in yet after 7 days

Unhappy Milk not in yet after 7 days

Hi all...I gave birth to my first one week ago and so far I don't think my milk has come in. My breast are larger than when I gave birth but so far I haven't experienced any engorgement, dripping, or anything that would hint that its here and plentiful. Everything I've read says it should have come in already...???

I made (perhaps?) the mistake of supplementing right off the bat but only after feeding with both breasts so my baby has been getting colostrum. At first some latch on problems and soreness but both are slowly getting better (although not correct yet...planning on seeking help soon for that) I'm wondering if I've "ruined" my milk supply?

Doesn't EVERYONE get milk in? I mean, people who don't breast feed at all get to go through the pain of engorgement and trying to dry up...why no milk here?

Default Re: Milk not in yet after 7 days

Congrats on your new baby! In rare cases some of the placenta may have been left inside and that "can" keep some moms' milk from coming in.
    Are you able to hand express/pump anything? Not all moms leak or have engorgement etc...
    Do you have an LC that you saw at the hospital or can you locate a local la leche league leader, it would be best for you to be seen in person. That being said a few things that may be helpful;
    breastfeeding is supply and demand, you have to call on the breast atleast 8-12 times in a 24 hour time period..
    If you must supplement maybe you can look into a supplemental nursing system, a small tube that connects to your breast and the breastmilk/formula comes through that so when baby is being supplemented they are also stimulating your breast.
    Lot's of skin to skin contact and frequently offering the breast.
    Will your lo latch on? Do they seem frusterated etc..
    sorry for all the questions and the randomness of this posts..
    aLLL the best! Brittan

Thanks so much for the reply...in answer to some of your questions:

I contacted the lactation consultant at the hospital today and am in the process of setting up an appointment to go see her...maybe she can investigate or even tell me if my milk is in...just not in abundance.
    (Will also ask her about the options in supplementation you mentioned)

I offer the breast first 100% of the time so even if I'm giving her a bottle to actually feed her, she is on each breast at least 10-15 minutes, too. (I do 15 on one, then until she pulls off on the other...then switch for next time)

I can express some liquid (looks "milky" and totally opaque with a light orange tint on one breast, translucent white on the other (this breast seems to be less functional)

Had latch/soreness problems at first but my nipples are just barely starting to get used to feeding or heal up a bit. Also, Baby seems to latch easier. But again...I can't even tell if she's getting anything (which would be a latch problem)

I hear her swallow sometimes but am pretty sure she just hangs out and uses it to pacify at others.

A rundown of a basic "trying to feed" session goes like this:
    I almost always notice the early signs of hunger and if I can (if she's starving and crying loudly for food she has more trouble latching on and staying on because she doesn't want to work for the food). I try to squeeze in a change prior to feeding. (If I've waited to long, I change in between breasts)

I put her on and she suckles for 10-15 minutes and gets kind of bored and I often have to move her or tickle her to get her sucking again within that time period. I'll hear a few definite swallow noises but a lot of other noises that I'm not quite sure are swallows.

I burp her between breasts, she eventually pulls off, then nods off looks content...for about two minutes. Then more hunger signs as if I never fed in the first place.

This is where I usually give her a bottle. (Sometimes I repeat before giving a bottle but without the bottle, I always end up right back where I started...with a hungry baby)

She quickly takes 2-4 ounces then is 100% content and goes about her day.

I hope all of this babble can make sense of the situation for someone out there to help me...?

hmmm...baby would not go on and stay on if she was hungry and there was no milk or not much...What you see when you express is MILK I bet you have more than you think..
    Most LCs have a scale where they can weigh baby before she eats and after to see what she is getting when she feeds.
    Just something to think about, for babies it is a natrual reflex to suck and swallow no matter if they are hungry or not..many moms have found that their little ones will take a bottle after nursing but they really are not hungry, just if you put something in their mouth they will suck and swallow, hence resulting in appearing hungry..
    You "could" try not to give the bottle for an afternoon/day etc...just nurse her and nurse her some more until she is content. Try not to put a time limit on the first side, or last, just put her on, let her stay on until she is finished, seeems content, falls asleep etc...change her diaper and offer her the second side, she may or may not take it, that is ok- just offer her the side that she had last even it was only for a min the next feed.
    Good job trying to get to her before she is crying, many times they are too tired out to nurse once they are that worked up..kwim?
    Another thing about not putting a time limit on a breast is that when she first latches on she has to work a bit to get to the milk ( unlike a bottle where it is instant gradifacation, milk right away ) and then she has foremilk for a while and then she moves on to hind milk, the thick creamy fat filled milk that will make her content, fuller, help her sleep longer etc..when we change sides too soon some babies never get to this and hence are never satisfied..am I making sense?
    If you try to go with out the bottles for a day your best indicator of what she is getting from you, will be her diapers..

"The First Six Weeks
    Most babies, after the first few days, have two to five bowel movements every 24 hours, until they are about six weeks old. The stools should be as large as a US quarter to "count" in this number. Some babies will have more frequent bowel movements, and it is possible for a healthy baby to have fewer bowel movements. If a baby younger than six weeks has fewer than two bowel movements a day, that can still be a variation of normal provided that the baby has an adequate number of wet diapers, is known to be gaining weight at an adequate rate, and the stools produced are substantial in volume.

"After the first few days, a breastfed baby should have at least six to eight wet cloth diapers, or five to six disposables, in 24 hours. To gauge the wetness, pour 2-4 tablespoons (30-60 ml) of water on a dry diaper. This is how the normally wet diaper of a young baby feels. It is easier to judge wetness in cloth diapers. If you are using disposables, know that there is a wide variation in brands and types. One brand may not "feel wet" while another may feel soaked with the same amount of fluid. It may be helpful to place a facial tissue inside the diaper to help judge wetness."

if your output is good then your a well own your way to be breastfeeding 100%.
    Let me know if you have any more questions! Brittan

HI! the only thing that is going to bring up your suppky is suckling.....and if you supplement you are not doing yourself or your baby a favor.....

Babies nurse very very frequently the first days to establish your supply (and because their tummies are so small, and bm is quickly digested)....so if you supplemet}nt you are giving the wrong signal to your body (that he does not need more milk)...so your supply wont build up....

BF is not easy, its very hard work, at least at the start...

Try to not give formula, it will become a pattern and a bottle is much easier to take than the breast...

If you nurse alot for a few days your supply WILL increase.....babies sometimes nurse for a whole hour....dont take her of your breast until she comes of it by herself...

Also, you MUST bf during the night. Prolactin is released during nighttime feedings. This increase in prolactin mantains your milk production for the next day....so supplementing at night is the first step to fail....

My baby nursed for 50-60 mins at the begining....now at 8 months only nurses 15 tops....

Patience...patience.....and get help for house duties....dedicate yoursef only to your baby.....
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

Hi,

I agree with the previous post that your milk has come in, at least somewhat!

If your baby is gaining well, and is having enough wet diapers, you're probably just fine. Just keep nursing on demand and trust yourself.

My milk was very slow coming in at first too, and I never got engorged or leaked (except BEFORE the birth, oddly, the leaking at least). There's a long complicated story about a low supply issue that I had at first that isn't relevant here, but the point is that you can have milk and just not have an overabundant supply like most seem to have. I ended up taking a medication to get my supply in, but honestly I don't think that did nearly as much as just keeping up the nursing on demand. And now I make enough to donate as well as feed my own baby. So stick with it and avoid supplementing unless you are really concerned about your baby's weight gain or diaper output.

Also, FYI it's pretty normal to have one "good" side and one "bad" side. Just make sure to try to nurse on both sides so you don't end up looking too lobsided.

Brittan,

Thank you SOOOOOO much for your quick reply and all of the great information! I wish the LCs at the hospital, in addition to giving you a quick show-how and answering your questions also told you what to expect about soreness, latch problems, and the overall sense of depression when something that you thought would be natural and easy is most definitely NOT. Thank you thank you thank you a million times over. Your reply was just the juice I needed to continue and fight for this.

Thanks again for the hope!

Melanie

Your very welcome Melanie! ( my sisters' name is Melanie ) Go ahead and find a local la leche league group to get involved with and feel free to stick around here, I think you will find that it will be the "juice" to get you through many issues in all areas of parenting that lie ahead!!!
    aLLL the best! Brittan

Quote Originally Posted by melsuzylu View Post
    My breast are larger than when I gave birth but so far I haven't experienced any engorgement, dripping, or anything that would hint that its here and plentiful. Everything I've read says it should have come in already...???
    As others have previously mentioned, you don't have to have experienced engorgement or leaking in order to be producing plenty of milk.

offer the breast first 100% of the time so even if I'm giving her a bottle to actually feed her, she is on each breast at least 10-15 minutes, too. (I do 15 on one, then until she pulls off on the other...then switch for next time)
    How would you feel about allowing baby to stay on the first breast until she comes off on her own or falls asleep? We call this "finishing the first breast first". It assures that baby has time on one breast to get a good mix of milk. Here's a great explanation:
    http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...s/3course.html

Another thing that can help your baby take in more breastmilk is breast compressions. Here is a link that explains the technique, and also offers a link to videos that show how the technique works:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html (non-LLL resource)

I can express some liquid (looks "milky" and totally opaque with a light orange tint on one breast, translucent white on the other (this breast seems to be less functional)
    That's breastmilk!

Had latch/soreness problems at first but my nipples are just barely starting to get used to feeding or heal up a bit. Also, Baby seems to latch easier. But again...I can't even tell if she's getting anything (which would be a latch problem)
    Here's a latch-on checklist that some mothers find helpful:
    http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...latchlist.html

I hear her swallow sometimes but am pretty sure she just hangs out and uses it to pacify at others.
    My best suggestion is try breast compressions to keep her actively sucking for a longer period of time. If she wants to stay on the breast a little while after she's had her full meal, that's great for both her and your milk production!

I put her on and she suckles for 10-15 minutes and gets kind of bored and I often have to move her or tickle her to get her sucking again within that time period. I'll hear a few definite swallow noises but a lot of other noises that I'm not quite sure are swallows.
    This is when breast compressions can make a huge difference!

I burp her between breasts, she eventually pulls off, then nods off looks content...for about two minutes. Then more hunger signs as if I never fed in the first place.

This is where I usually give her a bottle. (Sometimes I repeat before giving a bottle but without the bottle, I always end up right back where I started...with a hungry baby)

She quickly takes 2-4 ounces then is 100% content and goes about her day.
    Could you tell us a bit more? How often is your baby nursing in a 24 hour period? And about how many total ounces of supplement is your baby taking in?

I wish the LCs at the hospital, in addition to giving you a quick show-how and answering your questions also told you what to expect about soreness, latch problems, and the overall sense of depression when something that you thought would be natural and easy is most definitely NOT.

You might find this article helpful and reassuring:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/natural.html

Even though these ladies are the BEST place to come for help and support, all of our advice put together can not come close to getting help in person. If you feel the LC from the hospital isn't giving you all you need, please seek additional help from a LLL leader or any other bf moms you know and are comfortable with. And, if bf is what you really want to do, you've got to quit with the bottles of formula. Nurse, nurse, nurse and then nurse some more. I fell into the trap of supplementing after the first two weeks and it is my biggest regret so far of motherhood. Trust your body, it will work for you, you just have to send the right signals. Make sure that you are getting plenty of good food and drink a lot of water. Fix yourself a snack and have a bottle of water to enjoy while you are feeding your DD. Congratulations on your special little girl. Good Luck!
    Kristie
    Wife to Chris 11/09/02
    Mommy to Kaycee Elaine 6/15/07
    with baby girl Emily Taylor due 8/08/09