Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone use Speech Therapist for Breastfeeding help?

Default Anyone use Speech Therapist for Breastfeeding help?

Our Lactation Consultant recently suggested a speech therapy consult for our 1 month old. We've had nursing issues... 2 weeks ago he started latching (looked great) and killing my poor boobies. She's unsure if it's a tongue issue and has given us all of the advice she can. She is an IBCLC. I think it's related to a high palate. My daughter had issues and it took her a couple of months to get to where he was at 3 weeks. So I'm hopeful. I'm just unsure if speech/feeding therapy is necessary? What can they do to help? Anyone with experience?

Default Re: Anyone use Speech Therapist for Breastfeeding help?

ive heard of that but don't know much more.
    Have you talked to your local leader?
    she might know more or another mother you can talk to..

All I can think to add is a small encouragement about the fact that as babies grow their latch changes. The longer you persevere, the greater the odds of your baby latching on correctly.

Thanks for the responses. I was told by an IBCLC that my daughter's problem was probably a receding chin and it did take a few months... she wasn't a full time nurser until 6 months but started latching some in her 3rd month. I did a lot of pumping (she refused formula). Now my son's chin doesn't seem to be set as far back. but I feel a high palate and given that and the way my nipple looks after nursing I'm almost certain this is the culprit. It's so frustrating. Right before I thought he had started latching well I considered just not trying for a few weeks and sticking with pumping. Then he started doing it and we would go to the clinic and see that he had taken 3 oz or so and though wow. Now my poor boobs are suffering. Our LC thinks that I'm having nerve pain and b/c he tends to chomp that he's cutting off blood flow to my poor nipple. Oh well..... so back to pumping for me... so I can heal. I'm still getting into the tub with him at night to nurse (he relaxes more and doesn't chomp so much then). So we'll see. I have to call and see if this is covered by our insurance. I'm not sure if it's worth it. ???
    I think I will try a LLL leader in town. Thanks again.

sounds like your doing all the right things....
    are you having cracks? sOmetimes they take weeks to heal.
    nemans apno might help.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

whats babies weight gain like?

from the breastfeeding answer book
    to find a speech pathologist in the usa call
    800-683-8255
    or www.asha.org

His weight gain is great. He was 6lb 4oz at birth on 9/11, and is now 8lb 11oz as of Tuesday. That's combo of nursing and pumping.
    I've been using the comfort gel pads for the boobies. I'm lucky to have a free breastfeeding clinic in town with IBCLCs on staff. So I have support. I just wanted to see if anyone had personal experience.

My baby and I are currently seeing a cranio-sacral therapist for several reasons, one of which is her extremely high palate. The IBCLCs I am seeing recommended it, as well as my CNM. Basically, a baby's bones are very compact in utero and during the birth, and then after they begin to expand, but sometimes certain bones get "stuck". They use VERY light touch to encourage the bones to get moving again. It's a lot more complicated then that, but I don't know how to explain it very well. Anyway, its alternative medicine and not regulated or anything so you would want to find someone through referalls, but about only a few days after the first session my daughter's high palate had come down DRAMATICALLY.
    Mama to DD#1 Exclusive pumper for 3 months before getting back to breast

and

DD#2 Straight from the tap since birth

I am doing cranio-sacrial therapy with my son through a physical therapist for tortecollis. I didn't know that it would also help his high palate! This is great news! He is five months old, not a newborn, but I am relactating and we have some of the same issues as you stated. When he nurses, it really hurts. I am pumping to bring up my supply, wishing he would/could nurse to do it (without pain) as babies are so much better at emptying breasts. (Plus I really want to nurse him and be his nursing mommy). Bridgeth79 & Paigekitten, your posts really inspired me with hope! I am getting my milk back and I am glad to know that Bridgeth79 your baby started latching better with time.

When I decided to relactate, I got rid of the pacifiers in order to get him to suck at the breast. However, he fusses and tenses up his neck during his therapy without a pacifier. I know that pacifiers can make palates high, too. So, is it worse to give him a pacifier so he can have his therapy or not give it to him and not get much done at our appointments? (He won't suck my fingers at the moment. I am trying to re-teach him how to finger feed using tubing and then breastfeed using tubing).

Thanks for any ideas on the therapy sessions!

Here's some info for the original poster:
    http://www.asha.org/about/publicatio...8/f050208b.htm

And here's some info about CST:
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep01p82.html

HTH!

Can something be done about poor latching due to receding lower jaw? It looks like my baby has an overbite... I'm a new mom, so I'm not sure of what's "right", but I know that I am raw and sore!!! Will this really correct itself with time??