Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Won't swallow food

Default Won't swallow food

My 23 month old nurses regularly and is a less than hardy (food) eater. Lately she has taken to holding food in her mouth for looooooooong periods of time. I ignored it at first but it has gotten so that if she isn't starving she won't swallow food at all. My instinct tells me she is being willful. Any advice?
    Thanks,
    Amanda

Default Re: Won't swallow food

some toddlers just have weird ways they do things.
    Does she spit stuff out alot?
    one of mine did that at that age, but I cann't think now who.
    Sounds pretty normal.

I would try to ignore it - see if it seems to be all food or only certain sizes of pieces, certain textures, etc. They are weird at that age - my DS won't touch a cracker or cookie or anything else that has a broken corner, he eats cheese if it's cut into tiny pieces but not if he has to bite it etc etc. I don't think it's spoiling them to cater to their whims to an extent at this age - my 4 year old was the same way but outgrew it. If you can cut the food or whatever so it's more appealing, I'd do it, but if it doesn't seem to make a difference, just ignore the behavior - she will outgrow it and will surely not starve.
    As a sidenote on weird eating behaviors, I could not eat turkey without flaking it first until I was well into my teens . Even now, if nobody's watching, I will still flake my turkey, but if I'm in company of course, I'll eat it properly like everyone else. lol. I remember one gathering when I was younger where we were eating at family friend's place and I just finished flaking my little fluffy pile of turkey when everyone else had already finished eating. I was sititing at the table by myself a half an hour later finishing my meal. My parents never said a word in reproach. I'll have to remember to thank them for that later.lol

Thanks for the words of wisdom. Its a bit frustrating when trying to get a little something in my little Skinny Minny. Sometimes she'll just walk around with cheeks FULL of saliva! Ewww! I've been ignoring it except when I need her to stop and then she puts up a struggle. She'll do it with any food and the only way I've been successful forcing her to swallow is to put her favorite stuffed animal away until she did. Any inspiration out there?
    Thanks again,
    Amanda

You said you felt this was a case of being willfull. Does your LO eat regular meals? Do you feel that your LO is growing appropriately? These are two basic questions I deal with all the time w my LO . He is 15 mo's and does not eat solids. He has a food aversion.

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

It wouldn't hurt to mention it to your lo's doctor. He/she will probably want to rule out any physical causes for the food holding.