Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: If you have "low supply"...

Default If you have "low supply"...

with your first, does that mean you'll have low supply with subsequent children? Sorry if this sounds trivial, but I'm really curious since I struggled with DD, even though I know it's supposed to be based on supply & demand.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Default Re: If you have "low supply"...

it does not.

yup most low supply problems are caused my breastfeeding missmagament.

or poor fit between baby and mom.

It might be helpful to talk with a LLLeader or IBCLC before the birth to see if the two of you can do some detective work to find out the cause of your low supply the first time around. Here's a link with some good suggestions http://www.massbfc.org/parents/makeMilk3.pdf and http://www.kellymom.com has a wealth of good information.

every pregnancy is different.....although "low supply" is something very ambigous because only the baby knows how much he drinks....we have no way of knowing......we may think the breast has little milk because ....but it may not be the case...once breastfeeding has been established our body knows how much to produce (that´s why leaking stops and our breast feels softer).....

Good luck and the most important thing is to relax and enjoy!
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

Thanks for the articles and other advice!! Unfortunately, even after following these "rules", consulting LLL and an LC, eating oatmeal, drinking tons of water, reading books, etc I still felt my supply was "low."

However, the more I think about it (and everything I'm learning from you lovely ladies ) , maybe it really wasn't all that bad. I do think my pump was the source of some of the issues since I returned to work full time 8 weeks PP, but I'm thinking that maybe it wasn't all that bad.

I guess the real source of my question was curiosity and whether or not mothers essentially produce the same amount with each pregnancy, but I guess not b/c all babies have different appetites. (Sorry, my brain has apparently decided to kick into gear this afternoon.)
    Last edited by ak411; October 19th, 2007 at 01:14 PM.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Smile Re: If you have "low supply"...

hi there I am second time mum to Addisyn Nicole Rose born on 15th Sept 07, with her older sister Paige Erin Anne born 21 April 05 I had ample milk my breasts always felt full and I often leaked. Plus Paige was feeding every 2 hrs day and nite! She packed on the weight. With Addisyn things are different. At the start (first 3 wks) she feed well burped well and above all slept well haha. Up to 4 hrs during the day and at nite up to 5hrs. Her weight gain was also going well. However round the 3wk mark things went belly up. Her dad started a new job which meant at nites he wasnt around to help me out with both girls - mainly tea time was when I was busiest. I wasnt eating properly as I was stressed out with both girls and if Im honest I was a little angry that my husband was away when I needed him most. Anyway Addisyn was feeding all the time but at nite I still was only really up the one time for a feed - it was more during the day feed feed feed and for long periods were it seemed like she was just mucking round. Midwife came at the end of that 1st wk of disruption and said Addisyn had only gained 120gms wheres she should be after 7days gained 140gms. Needless to say I felt guilty and tried extra hard to eat well drink lots of water and rest and not to stress out too much to take that exta breath when Paige was throwing a wobbly but into the third wk of this pattern Addisyn got sick with a cold and was really unhappy and vomited and had snotty nose so could hardly breath when feeding due to her nose being blocked up!!!!! Hence feeding took forever esp at the tea time feed - sometimes felt like 2hrs of feeding. At her next weigh in shes gained 240gm in fortnight and my midwife said this if fine its not heaps but shes happy healthy etc so I shouldnt look at starting formula. My problem now is that A should I top my wee one up with formula on her nite feed - at least then Id know she wasnt hungry and we d get alonger sleep out of her at nite and just continue breast feeding her thru the day, at least shes getting all the goodness of the breast milk plus quenching her hunger at nite? Has anyone else done this and had enough breast milk to keep going, I want to be able to feed her myself to at least 7mnths. Any help suggestions much appreciated

Lana,
    congrats on the new baby girl! you might want to check the single parenting forum for support while your husband is away!
    As for giving formula at night, my suggestion is no, for several reasons.
    First, it's hard on baby's tummy, it might make her fussy and gassy, you really don't want to have to deal w/that right now!
    Also, it is hard to digest and sits in the stomach longer, so yes she may sleep longer but if you're concerned about her weight gain you want her to eat *more* often, not less. Enjoy the quiet nighttime feedings to snuggle with your baby and know you're giving her what she needs to grow strong and healthy.
    Another reason not to give formula is that it can be a "slippery slope" when your body is not getting the message to make more milk for baby. Keep nursing whenever she is hungry and your body will keep up with her. You are doing a great thing for your baby!
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

I always felt like I had a low supply with my first son. I nursed often and often for long periods. (every hour for an hour) When he was a couple of months old and I thought I would go insane, I finally started wearing him in a sling. Wow! Now he could continue to cluster feed all day long and I could just go about my own business instead of counting the nursing minutes (As much as I treasured the time) I found also that when he could have free access all the time in a carrier during the day then at night time he started waking up less. The constant sucking during the day also helped to increase my milk supply.
    Good luck with your new baby.
    Emily