Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suddenly it's over

Default Re: Suddenly it's over

Quote Originally Posted by kmeiszer View Post
    My daughter is 13 months and we were just forced to wean very unexpectedly. All of a sudden this week she started refusing to nurse, arching away and crying every time we tried. After a couple days I realized she had a lot of little sores in her mouth, her dr. says it's a common viral infection and very painful. I think she's over it now but she still won't nurse b/c she associates it with the pain. So I've decided to just let it go. We're trying to get pregnant again and I was thinking we might wean in the next few months. But I thought we would have more time to prepare and get used to the idea. I can't help feeling very sad about it. I miss it.
    sob sob!!!! I hear you! Ella's only nursing before nap and bedtime now. i remember being so frustrated w/ bfing that i just wanted to give up!
    and now....i don't want to!!!! double !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ellas_mum View Post
    sob sob!!!! I hear you! Ella's only nursing before nap and bedtime now. i remember being so frustrated w/ bfing that i just wanted to give up!
    and now....i don't want to!!!! double !!!!!!
    That's just how I feel, we had a TERRIBLE time bfing in the beginning. She was a week old when she latched for the first time and even then we had to use a nipple shield until she was about 2 months old, still struggling with her latch. It's hard to let of something you had to work so hard for. But it was all so worth it.

My daughter dropped her last nursing session a little over a week ago. The past 2 months have been a struggle (many times when I offered, she pushed my breast away and sucked her thumb instead ), but I'm glad that she was BF throughout her first year. DH and I became parents late in life, so DD is our first and last baby.

I'm grieving the loss of this special time, but I also realize that these losses are a part of growing up. DD and I still have our cuddle sessions first thing in the morning and before she goes to sleep at night.

to you.
    Last edited by new_mama; October 21st, 2007 at 10:06 PM.

My little one is 12 1/2 months and also started on a strike because of teething issues and I tried for over a week to get her back to nursing. I was not ready for such an abrupt end and it has hit me like a mack truck. My husband is very supportive and I was pumping to continue the milk since she was not taking anything but breastmilk. I finally came to the conclusion that with a 'spirited' child that screams the whole time I pump because I am not paying attention to her even though my husband is playing with her is just not working. I got her to take toddler formula by mixing it half and half and now Im trying to wean off the pumping. It is so hard for me to let go and I know it's natural but I feel like I somehow failed her since I was planning to go to 2 years. I should make it more about what is right for her than what is right for me, but it's still tough.

Still never made sense to me but my lo nursed through hand, foot, and mouth (he's a big believer that nursing cures all, I mean all of life's woes). Anyway I ended up getting a slight case of it including an aching breast - I called it hand, foot and boob
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

I agree with the previous post, IF you feel its time to stop nursing that's one thing, but don't let this illness force you to stop nursing early because it doesn't have to. Once you wean that's it, so if you're not ready, get pumping to keep up some supply until she's healed. Strikes are upsetting but they DO pass. Best of luck with whatever you decide
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!